Samsung HCN4727W Convergence problem

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
BaBo
Samsung HCN4727W Convergence problem

I have a Samsung HCN4727W (a 47" widescreen, HDTV-ready RPTV) bought in 2003, and the screen went bad 2 weeks ago. The screen looks like a lie-down hour glass. And the red and blue convergence didn’t work at all in convergence adjustment mode(Mute183) in service mode. The centers of red and blue test pattern are about 0.5 inch away. It looks like 3D movie without glasses. So, I changed 2 convergence correction IC(STK392-040) and checked 1.5ohm resisters with eyes not with DMM. Those resisters looked good. But, the problem didn’t disappear. Here is a screen capture.Convergence problem of Samsung HCN4727W

Larry Dillon
Get the service manual.  You

Get the service manual.  You will need that if you messed with the service mode.  Also the manual will help you to see what voltages are suppose to be where on the convergence board.  You will need to double check all of your solder connections. Also there should be a Plus and a minus 20 to 25 volts on each of the convergence IC.  When the fuseable resistors go bad, most of the time there are no visable signs that they are bad so you will need an ohm metter to check them.  If you go HERE  and you will see the convergence IC STK392-040 Samsung part number 1201-001225 is $63.00.  What STK did you use.  If it was less then 20 bucks, your using whats known as a counterfit part.  These IC's are not the same!  They may be bad or unuseable in some applications.  On that same parts list page I sent you, right underneath the STK IC, is the convergence amp boar part number BP95-00142p is $108.44.  Thats is the complete convergence drive board.  If these are available, I alwways recommend to replace the entire board.  In your case, you will need to check and make sure the voltages are good.  Good Luck and keep us informed of the progress of this repair on this TV.

BaBo
Thank you, Larry!

Thank you, Larry!

I should have tested all fuses before I purchased 2 convergence ICs. It was a PICO Littelfuse. There are two PICO fuses in the convergence board and one of them is bad. It is LF3 1/2A. But, I couldn't identify which series it is. Here is a picture.

Bad Fuse

Larry Dillon
Any .5 amp pico fuse should

Any .5 amp pico fuse should work for you.  A service center should have one for you.

jk781211
Hi im new to the site.I am

Hi im new to the site.I am having the same problem with me samsung exact same model for some reason i cant see the photos that you posted is there any way you could email them to me so i could check those fuses, i have no idea what they look like. Thank you. From what i understand you guys sugest just changing out the whole board?

jk781211
Hi im new to the site.I am

Hi im new to the site.I am having the same problem with me samsung exact same model for some reason i cant see the photos that you posted is there any way you could email them to me so i could check those fuses, i have no idea what they look like. Thank you. From what i understand you guys sugest just changing out the whole board?

zapdbf
If you have a blown fuse, you

If you have a blown fuse, you have a bad convergence ic, just changing the fuse will not work.

jk781211
I kind of think i have to

I kind of think i have to after reading more on this. i wounder if there is any one with a copy of the service manual for me that can email it to me at [email protected]

zapdbf
I don;t but you can usaly get

I don;t but you can usaly get through this on any tv without a service manual. Except if you have to converge it

Jetster
Hi all, I am just new to this

Hi all, I am just new to this site as well and I am having similar problems with the same set.  I changed the whole convergence board (from Future Shop) and the set still will not work.  All that happens is the front timer lights flash and there is a clicking noise like a relay and the set seems to be trying to start up and then it shuts down and keeps doing this over and over again.  Might there be a fuse or relay away from the convergence board that I should be looking for??  Thanks for any help!!!

jk781211
I need some help on this one,

I need some help on this one, i was adjusting the convergence on my hcn 4727w after replacing the convergence board i did the green and red when i started to do the blue is was way off as i was moving the lines the screen did some wierd movement and then all three tubes went out i turned the tv off and turned it back on but i got no picture at all. does anyone have a clue on what happen and what needs to be done to fix it?

Larry Dillon
Yea, you blew out the IC's

Yea, you blew out the IC's and a pico fuse. Did you mess with the alighnments before you replaced the IC's.

jk781211
Larry Dillon said: Yea, you

Larry Dillon said: Yea, you blew out the IC's and a pico fuse. Did you mess with the alighnments before you replaced the IC's.

yeah i did. i replaced the whole board. does this mean ill have to get another one.

Larry Dillon
Yes it does. You will also

Yes it does. You will also have to do a mechanical alignment with the centering rings on the neck of each picture tube before you plug in the convergence yokes. You will need to center each color for the best center, then turn off the TV set and plug in the convergence yokes. Then you can do the alignments on the set. What you are doing without centering is over driving the convergence IC's I have had to do this on many TV sets. The alignments will not correct convergence that is way off. You need to set up the TV set correctly centered first. The service manual will explain how this is done. No shortcuts with this particular set. If you had not of messed with the convergence in the beginning, you would not have to go through this most likely. The service menu is NOT a fix for all when there is an adjustment to be done. What a lot of folks do not realize is that things do not suddenly go out of alignment most of the time. There is usually a problem somewhere.

jk781211
Larry Dillon said: Yes it

Larry Dillon said: Yes it does. You will also have to do a mechanical alignment with the centering rings on the neck of each picture tube before you plug in the convergence yokes. You will need to center each color for the best center, then turn off the TV set and plug in the convergence yokes. Then you can do the alignments on the set. What you are doing without centering is over driving the convergence IC's I have had to do this on many TV sets. The alignments will not correct convergence that is way off. You need to set up the TV set correctly centered first. The service manual will explain how this is done. No shortcuts with this particular set. If you had not of messed with the convergence in the beginning, you would not have to go through this most likely. The service menu is NOT a fix for all when there is an adjustment to be done. What a lot of folks do not realize is that things do not suddenly go out of alignment most of the time. There is usually a problem somewhere.

Well im not spending no more money or time on it. So if anyone is interested in parts let me know before it hits the street curb lol email me at [email protected] Thanks guys for all your help.

Larry Dillon
Maybe where you bought the

Maybe where you bought the board you can return it as bad and have it exchanged. Shame to throw out a nice set like that. Are you near Michigan?

jk781211
Larry Dillon said: Maybe

Larry Dillon said: Maybe where you bought the board you can return it as bad and have it exchanged. Shame to throw out a nice set like that. Are you near Michigan?

Yeah im in nothern indiana 1 1/2 hors from southbend

Larry Dillon
Oh , a little too far for me

Oh , a little too far for me to go and buy a TV set. I live in Northern Michigan, 10 miles north of Cadillac  Cry

jk781211
Larry Dillon said: Oh , a

Larry Dillon said: Oh , a little too far for me to go and buy a TV set. I live in Northern Michigan, 10 miles north of Cadillac  Cry

Yeah thats to far.

Elisa316
Larry Dillon said: Maybe

Larry Dillon said: Maybe where you bought the board you can return it as bad and have it exchanged. Shame to throw out a nice set like that. Are you near Michigan?

Larry,

maybe you can help me... i have a hcn4727w and the screen is purple i took the back panel off and the green light is off what part should i buy to fix it or is there something else wrong with it? i dont have any manuals so am not sure whats goin on help PLEASE..... 

jk781211
Elisa316 said: Larry

Elisa316 said:

Larry, maybe you can help me... i have a hcn4727w and the screen is purple i took the back panel off and the green light is off what part should i buy to fix it or is there something else wrong with it? i dont have any manuals so am not sure whats goin on help PLEASE..... 

Well it could be your convergence board if its not i got parts for sale for that tv just let me know if you need anything its in very good shape.

Larry Dillon
Elisa, I need more info on

Elisa, I need more info on the problem. Do you have sound, does the picture stay on? Please post a picture of what the screen looks like.

Elisa316
Larry Dillon said: Elisa, I

Larry Dillon said: Elisa, I need more info on the problem. Do you have sound, does the picture stay on? Please post a picture of what the screen looks like.

Larry, i have sound and the pictures stay on its just that the screen is purple. i can change the channels and everything do you have any manuals that you can share with me?

Larry Dillon
I mean does the picture stay

I mean does the picture stay on it like can you see anything moving around on the screen and it is purple or is the screen blank and purple? If you can see things on the screen and they are just all purple, pull off the front screen and see if all three tubes are lighting up. It sounds like maybe the green tube is not there or is not lighting up as bright as the red and the blue. The green in the middle by the way.

Elisa316
Larry Dillon said: I mean

Larry Dillon said: I mean does the picture stay on it like can you see anything moving around on the screen and it is purple or is the screen blank and purple? If you can see things on the screen and they are just all purple, pull off the front screen and see if all three tubes are lighting up. It sounds like maybe the green tube is not there or is not lighting up as bright as the red and the blue. The green in the middle by the way.

yes the picture stays on i can watch tv but its purple and yes i looked at the tubes and the green is off there is no light at all the red and blue are on there fine

Larry Dillon
OHH That's what I wanted to

OHH That's what I wanted to hear. How technical are you? There are a few things you can try to eliminate certain things, but this will involve going inside the TV set and doing a few thing. This is why you need to be very specific when describing a problem.

Elisa316
Larry Dillon said: OHH That

Larry Dillon said: OHH That's what I wanted to hear. How technical are you? There are a few things you can try to eliminate certain things, but this will involve going inside the TV set and doing a few thing. This is why you need to be very specific when describing a problem.

i am some what technical ive already been inside the tv trying to figure out the problem. so Larry what can i do?

Larry Dillon
OK So you have no green. That

OK So you have no green. That is the problem. With the TV set off, take off the circuit board at the end of the green picture tube. That would be the middle tube. Swap it with the one to the right of the green tube or to the left of the green tube. Turn on the TV set. If the green tube lights up, but not the other tube that you swapped with the green board, then there is a problem in the green drive circuit. You will need to make comparison voltage checks on a good driver board from one of the other colors to the bad driver board on the green tube. If the green tube does not light up, then the green picture tube is bad.

Elisa316
Larry i did exactly what you

Larry i did exactly what you said when i did that smoke started to come out meaning the board were the green is at burned now what i should i do?????

Larry Dillon
Where did the smoke come out

Where did the smoke come out of. I do not understand what you are saying, please be a little bit more specific.

Elisa316
Larry Dillon said: Where did

Larry Dillon said: Where did the smoke come out of. I do not understand what you are saying, please be a little bit more specific.

Larry I changed the circuit board from the green picture tube and swaped it to the blue one to see if the light turns on and it did so when i put the circuit board back to the green picture tube and turned on the tv smoke started to come out so i unplugged it and took it off and its black meaning i burned it and now i cant see nothing on the screen anymore before i could see any channel but the color on the screen was purple now its dark and cant see anything

Pages

Connect With Techlore