help with vcr/dvd combo

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
mamasa
help with vcr/dvd combo

i have a magnavox dvd/vcr combo, model mdv540vr/17.  the dvd plays fine, but when watching a vhs tape, i get horizontal blurry bars in the picture, and the sound is distorted.  sometimes, after they go away, the volume level is lower, then increases gradually.  also, if i'm watching tv with the vcr on (rewinding or forgot to turn it off), the same thing happens with the live tv signal.  any suggestions>?

Larry Dillon
I have seen this problem

I have seen this problem before my friend, What the problem is, is a bad capstain motor or a bad capacitor in the power supply. What is happening is if there is a partial short in the motor and when the motor runs, as it does in playback as well in the rewind function, it is loading down the main power supply of the TV set. It will most likely cause the power supply to go out as it is being overloaded. And if the power supply has a bad capacitor filtering the voltage going to the motor, the same thing will happen. Depending on how old the unit is and the availability of parts will determine for you as if the set is worth repairing or not. Good Luck and let us know how you made out with this repair.

Connect With Techlore