2 blown (black) fuses on convergence board

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
dave31
2 blown (black) fuses on convergence board

Larry, I have a KP53S25 I located 2 blown fuses (black) that are positioned right next to each other on what I think is the convergence board. I do not know if this new info helps pin point anything new from what you shared with me last time or not. Problem with set: LED indicator light continously blinks without pausing/no picture or sound.

Larry Dillon
What are the numbers by these

What are the numbers by these fuses?

dave31
Larry, The #s next to the

Larry, The #s next to the two fuses that are bad are F1601 & F1602. The fuse type is 3.15A 125v. I also noticed that the U board is leaking a clear fluid from the top. I appreciate your expertise, time, and hope to hear from you soon.

Larry Dillon
Ahhhh  The picture tubes most

Ahhhh  The picture tubes most likely are leaking.  You will need to reseal those picture tubes first and thats not an easy task my friend. 

dave31
I checked the tubes and you

I checked the tubes and you were correct, they are leaking. I see fluid on all 3 tubes around the seals. I recently moved this set from someone else's house. Maybe only one is leaking and the other 2 have run off from the set being tipped during the move. Or from your experience do all 3 typically leak at the same time. How can I determine if there is only one leaking? Could the leak of caused the fuses to blow, leave me with a set that has no picture or sound, and a continous led indicator blink with no pausing? If I was to reseal the leaky picture tube(s), what would be my next task other than replacing the fuses and giving the boards that received some of the fluid a good proper cleaning?

Larry Dillon
Yes it for sure can. This

Yes it for sure can. This fluid leaked on parts that shorted out and blew out the fuses. If you do not take the boards out and use a non lubricated electronic spray wash on these boards, that liquid will eat away at the tiny solder pads and printed circuit boards.

videodoktor
If cooling fluid leaked on to

If cooling fluid leaked on to CBA's it woud be best to replace the board.

videodoktor
The cooling fluid I was told

The cooling fluid I was told is also conductive. i whole heartly suggest after finding the leaking bulb to replace the circuit board.

dave31
This 12 year old set was

This 12 year old set was given to me in this condition. I am trying to avoid dropping a large amount of money into it. I was thinking about washing the 2 circuit boards with the appropriate cleaner, placing paper towels at the base of the leaky tube (to absorb any more coolant, and then replace the blown fuses. Hopefully, I will receive a positive sign from the set. If so, I will then repair the leaky tube. What do you think? Hopefully the non-lubricated electronic spray wash removes all of the conductive coolant. Let me know what you think.

Larry Dillon
It should unless the coolent

It should unless the coolent has been laying there for a long period of time, as if it has, like videodoktor said you will need to replace the board.

Connect With Techlore