Audi Help

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ezylman
Audi Help

I would like to use my home theater system (samsung htq45) to play dvds, but without the surround sound on at times (there are times I want to use the surround speakers, other times I want to simply use the tv speakers), is this possible?

ezylman
HI Matt, my message got

HI Matt, my message got deleted, did I do something incorrectly?

Matt Whitlock
Hi ezylman,

Hi ezylman,

I just noticed you also submitted your question via the Ask The Experts feature here at TechLore. It's a great question, so it will be answered in full there shortly to be more visible on the site and have a better chance of helping others in the future. Hang in there for a few more minutes... the answer's coming!

Keep your eye on the Ask The Experts column for the answer: http://www.techlore.com/blog/15127/

ezylman
Thanks so much, I look

Thanks so much, I look forward to finding out whether I can do this. If not, I will be out this weekend getting a system on which I hopefully can. I was trying to get a multi-disc system that would acheive this so when listening to music on the same system it would be great to have several hours playing back to back.

Matt Whitlock
Hi ezylman,

Hi ezylman,

Your question has been answered. You'll now find it at the link above.

Enjoy!

ezylman
HI Matt, I was told by

HI Matt, I was told by someone that a system which has a HDMI connection will allow me to accomplish this, is that the case? The Samsung unit does not have HDMI nor an audio out, but if I purchased an HDMI capable unit will that do the trick?

Matt Whitlock
Your current system does have

Your current system does have an audio out, but like I said in the Ask The Experts post, it's in the form of a headphone output. Line-level and headphone outputs are not identical, but they're close enough to be almost interchangeable in a pinch. Plug the cable into the headphone jack, and you'll get sound out of the TV. Unplug it, and the sound will come through the system. 

Your friend is correct in saying HDMI connections allow for audio to travel down the same cable, but unfortunately it's not quite that clear cut. Sending audio via HDMI is optional. There's no guarantee an all-in-one system will pass the audio via HDMI to a display, particularly since audio can be created from within the unit.

If you want the most flexibility, you need to skip all-in-one systems and buy separate components. That's a huge investment, particularly you can do what you want with your current system if you buy a five dollar accessory cable. Besides, didn't you say you want to use the same equipment you have now?

Is there something you want to do that I missed?

Connect With Techlore