The Wii Diet

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matt Whitlock
The Wii Diet

Since Nintendo's Wii debuted last fall, owners are saying the additional movements and activity required to play is helping them lose weight.

Do you consider playing Wii games as exercise and a legitimate way to drop a few pounds? Or, is this a bunch of hooey?  What do you think?

Jeff Block
Absolutely it is!  I played

Absolutely it is!  I played the boxing game for 20 min on the Wii, and aside from getting my butt kicked by a granny Mii, I was exhausted.  I woke up the next day with sore arms and back.  Workout = yes.  Same thing with Dance Dance Revolution and a few other games on other consoles too ... except for the 360 ... can't really get a workout playing the guitar.

Guest (not verified)
I can tell you my boys were

I can tell you my boys were sore the next day after boxing for hours. They got quite a workout.

Peter Redmer
With Wii Fit on the scene,

With Wii Fit on the scene, this is more relevant than ever.

All in all, I think that video games are a very legitimate way to get in shape. Anything that gets you out of your seat and moving is probably good, unless you over-exert yourself and get hurt, of course.

I will attest that Wii Sports does get your heart rate up, and Wii Boxing is a great workout. I haven't tried Wii Fit yet, but from what I hear, it's pretty taxing as well.

I can cite my own personal experience as well when it comes to DDR (Dance Dance Revolution.)

I feel pretty passionately that Wii Fit (or like products) cannot replace the feeling and experience of DDR, but I think it's a great way to improve your physical shape. In fact, I want to get Wii Fit but just don't feel like dropping the coin... but if I get one, I'll be sure to blog about it.

Matt Whitlock
To put a finer point on this

To put a finer point on this topic, does the Wii (maybe even with Wii Fit), offer a good cardiovascular workout akin to jogging on a treadmill or doing a bike? I ask because if Wii and Wii Fit is successful in really capturing that limited workout time, does it give you as good of a workout as more conventional means? Is replacing real exercise with Wii really hurting people in the long run?

horseyoucool
I Played the wii for an hour

I Played the wii for an hour i played wii sport i played every game on wii sports and i was ready to take a nap
i is good for older people if they have hip or knee problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connect With Techlore