hd50lpw42 rca

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
early
hd50lpw42 rca

I'm looking for inforrmation on this TV. It was being sold on ebay the seller said it has a problem with the color wheel and lamp? What are these and is it easy to repair? Where also may I download  the schematic for this model. Thanks early!!

MOtvGuy
Color wheel problems are

Color wheel problems are common with the RCA's.  Those have been selling for around $125 - 145 from RCA.  The lamp will cost you another $170 - 200.  So you're looking a spending at least another $300 in parts IF that's really all that's wrong with that model.  The lamp is easy enough to replace but the color wheel will require the front cabinet/screen to come off to access it. It's bolted in with 2 screw and is top loaded.  The worst part with the RCA wheels is trying to keep the rubber gasket that comes with it aligned as you drop the new wheel assy into place. 

As for manuals?  There's not much to that model.  The power supply board, System board (exchange only), ballast*(exchange) and the engine.  Only the power board would be considered serviceable, everything else, including the ballast is replace only.  

upjeeper
MOtvGuy said: Color wheel

MOtvGuy said: Color wheel problems are common with the RCA's.  Those have been selling for around $125 - 145 from RCA.  The lamp will cost you another $170 - 200.  So you're looking a spending at least another $300 in parts IF that's really all that's wrong with that model.  The lamp is easy enough to replace but the color wheel will require the front cabinet/screen to come off to access it. It's bolted in with 2 screw and is top loaded.  The worst part with the RCA wheels is trying to keep the rubber gasket that comes with it aligned as you drop the new wheel assy into place.  As for manuals?  There's not much to that model.  The power supply board, System board (exchange only), ballast*(exchange) and the engine.  Only the power board would be considered serviceable, everything else, including the ballast is replace only.  

I picked up a RCA hd50lpw42 yesterday.  There's no audio/video coming out of it, but there is a strange whining/humming sound from the middle/back. I've removed the back cover, and if I'm guessing right the ballast is towards the right side (when looking at the back) so I don't think it's my ballast.

Could my color wheel cause there to be no audio or video? 

thanks! 

MOtvGuy
Nope.  The color wheel is the

Nope.  The color wheel is the likely cause of the whining noise though.  As for no audio or video,  are you sure the lamp is lighting?  If your screen is lighting you've probably got a problem with the ADM3 board.  Not cheap. 

upjeeper
doesn't appear that the lamp

doesn't appear that the lamp is lighting

if the lamp is burned out would the audio stop as well? 

MOtvGuy
If the lamp is burned out you

If the lamp is burned out you'll have no way of knowing what mode you're in.  If you're in one of the external video input modes you won't hear anything from the speakers.  Your first step would be to get the lamp going in order to further troubleshoot the set. 

MrWick
I was recently given a

I was recently given a HD50LPW42 Dlp tv. It has about three problems, the picture appears to be dim, so I purchased a Phillips lamp off of ebay, and the color wheel is extremely loud. I went on ebay and the color wheel needed, part #212184, is about $200. If anyone knows of a place with a cheaper price then please let me know, or a fix for the color wheel. The next thing is that there is a shadow at the top of the screen that is about 4 inches tall and extends the width of the TV. I removed the projector and would move the projector, clock wise and counter clockwise, and the shadow followed the movement of the projector.

Houston Kid
I have a RCA HD50LPW42 DLP

I have a RCA HD50LPW42 DLP rear projection that has a black picture on the antenna inputs. The other inputs work fine with good picture and sound from Tivo or DVD. The antenna functions fine on other TVs and the Tivo. Is this a tuner problem or ????

Jamescjg
I have a whine, goes away

I have a whine, goes away after a while. Ordered fans. Cannot find how to info. This group makes me wonder about the color wheel. Thoughts?

spammy
I have had some of the same

I have had some of the same problems, i changed the lamp which i purchaSED ON EBAY FOR $95, I HAD GREAT PICTURE QUALITY ,BUT STILL THE WHINING NOISE. WELL I DEALT WITH THAT FOR ABOUT A YEAR AFTER CHANGING THE LAMP, UNTIL 1 DAY IT GOT LOUDER AND THEN IT STOPPED BUT I HAD NO PICTURE, I COULD HEAR BUT I COULDNT SEE THE SET. DO I NEED TO REPLACE MY LAMP OR IS THIS THE COLOR WHEEL?

Jamescjg
I did install both new fans

I did install both new fans and cleaned the color wheel (removed dust) using an eyeglass cleaner and a very light touch with a soft cloth. Noise went away and the picture is more crisp and bright (I had previously replaced the lamp). On my set the color wheel comes out very easy. I may have just lucked out on the noise problem though.

joe dumond
Some times my lamp lights and

Some times my lamp lights and sometimes it dosent.The color wheel will run for about 5 sec than stop.What might be the wrong.

freetvforme
hi. found an rca hd50lpw42 in

hi. found an rca hd50lpw42 in the neighbors trash and now wish i'd left it there. first was the broken bulb. it was obvious and actually repairable so i repaired it.(sure, ask how, ill explain) bulb worked and so did the tv, till i turned the bulb to bright. that was good for about 5 minutes but hey, it worked. bought another bulb on e-bay. wouldnt work. tried to refix the old bulb again and it didn't work either. back panel off, little switch by the lamp cover... oh crap. put it all back together and replace the cover this time... WOOHOO both bulbs work but the new one is a bit brighter. YAY. found a keyboard for it on e-bay for 60 bucks and i'm STILL waiting... Mean time, that buzz from hell that i was thinking was the fan is no longer the fan nor ever was. flippin color wheel. pull it out, spray with air and reinstall... even LOUDER. pull it out again, blow the ever living s*** out of it, get it all fingerprinty, then clean all THAT off with alcohol and qtips for like an HOUR and then put it back in. ok, a LITTLE quieter for a minute then all of a sudden something snaps and it instantly sounds like it's about to levitate off the table. everything is vibrating... turn off, pull the back again and ohgee... little shards of glass, how pretty. aparently those are 6 individual panes of tiny and very fragile glass and one of those panes flung itself out at 60,000 rpms. i still wonder how the tv even worked, let alone looked half decent, but the noise was horrendous. so is my experience with this tv thus far. What next? i tried to hook up my computer to it and still no luck with that. bought a dvt link cable and have no idea why it won't identify the external HD and RCA is USELESS! i will NEVER buy anything RCA again simply because these shysters are only interested in screwing us with inferrior products, not providing ANY information as to how to make them play nice with other equipment, and refuse to return any e-mails or support their products. Stay AWAY from these things. Mean time, anyone have a cheap colorwheel they wanna sell?

evil
Sometimes one man's trash is.

Sometimes one man's trash is....another man's trash to

VONRAPTOR
I have had an RCA HD50LPW42

I have had an RCA HD50LPW42 since 2005(bought it new), and I just replaced the original lamp this week. Other than that, it is perfect...great ATSC tuner, great Blu-Ray playback, great sound. This TV has a better picture than almost any LCD set I have seen. I got an OEM lamp w/housing brand-new on ebay for $89. Not bad for 5 years in use.
My nephew liked the picture on mine so much that he bought a 2006 model Scenium 50" DLP. They added an HDMI that year. His picture is just as great as mine, but he has replaced the lamp and color-wheel after 3 years. Still not bad. Bought the color-wheel for $100. and $90.for the lamp. Still ahead of the game. My Proscan PS38000 was the first consumer 1080i 16:9 HiDef TV, introduced in late 1999. It uses a 38"CRT and has the most beautiful picture anywhere. Roof-top antenna HD is outstanding, Blu-Ray is stunning. No motion distortion when watching fast action...the electron-gun is way faster than anything else. Operating for at least 4 hours a day, every day, for the last 9 years...never repaired! Sadly, today RCA is only a name that has no company behind it. Thomson will license it to anyone willing to pay the price. The televisions being sold as RCA today are only sold in the USA through Sears/K-Mart and is GARBAGE!!! Very sad end to a once great company that created a world of electronic innovation.

viggie
I've replaced the light

I've replaced the light engine on my HD50LPW42 because I found a light pipe between the color wheel and lens has mirrors in it that fall into themselves and cause the shadows.
This takes a bit of work to get out and after the second one lasted only 9 months, I'm considering trashing it. Anybody have a line on a cheap light engine? Since there's no way to get the light pipe by itself.

Connect With Techlore