problem with STR-DG800 Sony receiver and subwoofer

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
bnolan4409
problem with STR-DG800 Sony receiver and subwoofer

I have a Sony STR-DG800 AV Receiver and a Mirage BFS-100 powered subwoofer. I am trying to connect the subwoofer’s low-level input jacks to the pre out output jack of the receiver to supply a low signal to the subwoofer. I can’t get an output out of these jacks to the subwoofer. I have tested the subwoofer and it is fine. I think it may be a setup issue with the receiver, but I have played with the setup menus and have not been successful. Can someone help me?

Matt Whitlock
Have you gone through the

Have you gone through the speaker setup (bass management) in the receiver? Where it asks you if your speakers are small or large (More on bass management in the article "The 'Bassics' of Bass Management"). If you did, what settings did you use?

A few other questions:

Which jack (specifically)on the receiver did you connect the subwoofer to? 

What sound mode (stereo, 2CH, A.F.D, etc.) is your receiver in, and what source material are you using when you test (CD, DVD, tape, 8-track?  Okay... just kidding on the 8-track. Smile ).

bnolan4409
yes, i have gone into the

yes, i have gone into the setup menu and turned the sub off and on. changed the bass and treble levels. changed my speaker size from small to large and back. just about everything has been changed. and i went back and reset it back to default.

i am trying to connect the sub to the pre out stereo jacks to my subs low level input stereo jacks.

I have tried all the mentioned sound mode. mostly AFD  because it is recommended in the manual with my configuration.

I am using a CD playing in my DVD player as a sound source.

unfortuatley, I  remember 8-track. Clicl Click

dans_repair_service
Does the DG800 have a sub out

Does the DG800 have a sub out?  If not, try to use the tape out jacks rather than the pre-out jacks.  See if that works.  If the unit processes the surround, the pre-outs will not contain the "sub" information.  The tape outs should contain all frequencies.  If the tape out works, I would suspect a problem in the internal processing of the receiver.  I'll look up the receiver circuitry and send along anything I find.

Dan

bnolan4409
I used a Y adapter to split

I used a Y adapter to split the single sub output of the receiver, then into my stereo input of the sub. thanks for the help

Smile

Connect With Techlore