BIG problem with new Pioneer Plasma TV PDP-5071hd

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
MH
BIG problem with new Pioneer Plasma TV PDP-5071hd

Just minutes ago I was watching this TV and the entire left side went full of flashing colors, a popping sound from the back was very loud, and a burning plastic smell was present. I've since unplugged the TV and called the service provider from Best Buy. Does anyone have any knowledge of like problems in the past and what it could be? Thanks.  Also as a result there is a solid 2inch line from the top to bottom of the screen that is mostly black /white but has blue and green colors too. I've tried powering down twice but the solid line remains.

Larry Dillon
Sounds like the plasma driver

Sounds like the plasma driver board(s) blew up.  These boards and or the power supply will most likely need to be replaced Good Luck and please keep us informed of the progress of this repair.

MOtvGuy
Pioneer's driver buffer IC's

Pioneer's driver buffer IC's were famous for going up in smoke. 

The worst part was, they were series linked and when one went they all went.  

Not a repair for the light of heart since the buffer boards themselves aren't available and the individual flatpacks have to be replaced.

If the PC foil has suffered damage the thing may have to be shipped to an authorized Pioneer Plasma panel repair station.  Not every servicer who has Pioneer authorization is authorized to make all repairs when the panels are involved. 

Best buy should be able to help you. 

Connect With Techlore