Zenith SR2765S; Stray VAC on the CATV port

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
BubC
Zenith SR2765S; Stray VAC on the CATV port

Hi,

I have a 1995 Zenith SR2765S on CATV system. The picture is a little fuzzy/grainy, I figured it was with a splitter or CATV connector etc. While working in the CATV distribution area of the basement, I got a little shock on a CATV line. Long story short; This Zenith TV has 85-90 volts AC on the CATV port(signal and ground). This measurement is taken with the unit in the middle of a carpeted floor, plugged in with no other connections to it. Powered on or off. Funny thing is, I have a goldstar DVD player and it also has some stray AC voltage on the CATV ports, measured under the same conditions. Is this a normal condition for these types of devices, tv's vcr's etc? The CATV distribution is well grounded and this stray VAC does not seem to be affecting any other TV's or the PC modem. The Zenith manual labels this CATV port 75ohm. Do I need some device/resistance between the TV and the CATV line? To tell you the truth, I never understood any of the ohm ratings on speakers and antena's. Thanks for any thoughts.

Bob "Bub" C.

Larry Dillon
BubC  You need to check your

BubC  You need to check your AC plug at the wall I think.  The neutral and the hot lead may be switched.  I will explain how to check this if you want.  If you have one of those special units that you plug into the wall socket to see if it is wired correctly, great.  First thing you must do is to TURN OFF THE POWER TO THE AC PLUG!!!  Once you conferm that the power is off by plugging in something, then take off the cover to the wall socket and unscrew the socket from the wall box.  Note the black white and green or bare copper wires.  The white is the neutral wire and should be connected to the silver looking terminal on the AC plug.  The black wire is the hot line and should be connected to the brass colored screw on the AC socket, the green or bare copper wire is connected to a green screw on the bottom end of the AC socket.  If all this looks good, have the TV tested for leaky or shorted capacitors or a shorted line filter.  If you have never done this before, play it safe and ask an expert or someone who knows how to check this problem for you.  Hope this helps and Good Luck.  Let us know how you make out with this problem.

bsong
My zenith tv will be on for

My zenith tv will be on for about 15-20 minutes and then the screen goes black. I can turn it off then immediately back on and it works again. Then in about the same time it will do it again. It's a vicious cycle. Would these be an easy inexpensive fix, or should I not bother?

Larry Dillon
your problem sounds like bad

your problem sounds like bad solder connections around or at the high voltage transformer or the associated circuit. Best to have an expert look at it for you.

Dochollidaydds
Mr. Dillon,

Mr. Dillon,
Have sent out other comments looking for that elusive Mistubishi MS-65613 service manual. I also looked at your links for the downloads, but came up short. Having the green blinking death light, reading your comments, found you are the resident expert in this area. Just an old military guy looking for a fix for this very expensive older TV. Thanks again, Any help appreciated, Doc.

[email protected]

drew l brewer
i get a dark pitchure and

i get a dark pitchure and hardley any color. can't adjust with the any more with the remote.i know there are adjustments on the back of the pit. tube and the main board.i just need a basic skematic to find the correct potetimeter to adjust.i know to unplug and short,(drain)capasitors before i start.would be much app. Drew

Connect With Techlore