cable dvr to dvd recorder

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Falkner36
cable dvr to dvd recorder

I can record live cable but the picture is scramble when attempting playback on recorded program- can hear program- picture scramble and screen says "no signal" if i cange tv to channel 3 I can see recorded program but recording will not record it? Using philipd dvdr3400/37 and cable box in scientific atlanta 8300HD Explorer. Is what I want to do even possible? Current wiring cable in to dvd recorder, cable from dvd recorder to cable box, cable from cable box to tv. Composit video from recorder to cable box, from cable box to tv.

Matt Whitlock
Hmmm... I can't say I picked

Hmmm... I can't say I picked up on exactly what you're trying to do. So let's break it down one piece at a time.

Are you trying to record TV from the cable box, or the analog cable line?

Do you get a scrambled picture if you play a commercial DVD?

I'm not sure why you're passing the DVD player output through the cable box before going to the TV. How many video inputs does your TV have?

If I were going to wire in a DVD recorder to record from both the cable box and analog cable line, this is how I'd do it (this is assuming you do not have an audio system, your cable box has two outputs, and your TV has at least 1 S-Video and 1 Composite inputs):

Analog cable: 

• Cable from wall to three way splitter
  • Splitter out 1 to RF IN on DVD recorder
  • Splitter out 2 to Cable box
  • Splitter out 3 to TV RF IN

Cable box (assuming your cable box has two line level outputs):

• S-Video/analog audio OUT to TV IN
  • Composite video/analog audio OUT to DVD Recorder IN

DVD Recorder

• Composite or S-video/analog audio OUT to TV IN

If you can't wire it this way, I'll need to know exactly how many ins and outs are on your stuff, as well as type.

Connect With Techlore