User Guides

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
douglas57
User Guides

My daughter, who lives away,  recently gave me her Redgroove MP3 player model MD218iD but without the instructions.  Anyone got any ideas as to where I can obtain a copy - I've searched the "net" without success - Many Thanks 

Matt Whitlock
Is Redgroove the brand, or

Is Redgroove the brand, or just a marketing like 'Zen'? Is it sold in the US, or somewhere else? I'll be happy to poke around and see what I can find.

Larry Dillon
Matt I was researching the

Matt I was researching the redgroove name and it seems to be very popular in the UK.  Have not found a manufacturer yet though.

douglas57
From Douglas 57 - Thanks for

From Douglas 57 - Thanks for your efforts, Matt and Larry.  Most frustrating.   Maybe I should have said that I was from the UK and that many UK retailers are advertising it as a new product so it certainly isn't too long in the tooth.  I also cannot locate a manufacturer so there is no manufacturer's website for help.  I suspect that it is just a brand but the Model No is so specific that it seems to be just a question of identifying it as the base manufactures model.  Many Thanks

Matt Whitlock
I ran into the same problem..

I ran into the same problem... plenty of sites that list it for sale, but no manufacturer's website for reference or support. It's likely some off-brand that's sold through discount retailers.

That doesn't mean all hope is lost though. If you need help figuring it out, maybe we can give you a hand.

douglas57
I'm just a 70 year old idiot

I'm just a 70 year old idiot who doesn't want to appear as such to his offspring!!!  She claims to have lost the instructions whilst moving house - and like many "oldies" I don't want to hassle her but would like something better (and smaller) than my portable cassette recorder.  If I ask her for help she will regard me with disdain and it isn't good for the ego!!   Just wait until you all are 70ish, your youngsters ask you to visit them using the photron transposer , you suddenly realise that progress has passed you by and you qualify for the decrepit hospital.  All help appreciated - Douglas57  

Matt Whitlock
Ouch! Don't beat up on

Ouch! Don't beat up on yourself too much. Not everybody can keep up with technology.  It's unfortunate you can't go to her for help without her making you feel bad. I've found kids to be quite helpful teaching parents how to cope with tech... but I guess everyone is a little different. Maybe she regards you with disdain as a defense for not quite understanding it herself. Wink

On that note, that's why TechLore is here. The whole purpose of this site is to provide a place to learn about how to use and integrate technology in your lifestyle from your peers. I know we get a lot of repair questions here, but our true goal is to connect people and help them learn and use these cool gadgets.

Stick around the TechLore Community and read the great articles and information we have here. I'm willing to bet you'll learn a few things, and someday you'll help your daughter with something while rubbing her nose in it the entire time!

So about that MP3 player... how can we help you get up and running? What did you want to do be able to do with it?

Last thing, I so hope I'll be able to visit family some day by using a 'Trek' style transporter. No more city traffic!

Larry Dillon
I hope I live to the day that

I hope I live to the day that this happens!!

douglas57
I just want to be able to use

I just want to be able to use the d**n thing.  It is so small it would be great compared to the old cassette player.  But I want MY music on it (60s and 70s) - not the modern rubbish she put on it.  Thanks, Matt and Larry - but didn't you know that transposers were introduced last week, see how easy and quick it is to get out-of-date!!!   See you in the human reject cart. 

Matt Whitlock
Sure, we can help you start

Sure, we can help you start using it. Let's knock out a few of the easy questions:

You have a computer, I assume?

Is your music on cassette, or CD?

What version of Windows is currently on your computer? 

douglas57
Basically for starters I want

Basically for starters I want to know what the buttons actually do.  Pressing them seems to give different results if pressed in differing sequences.  What I listen to is cassette, CD or, (whisper it) wireless i.e. radio to you - doesn't that date me?   I am sure that if I could find a user guide somewhere then it would all fall into place, although nowadays even these are not as explanatory as they should be.  Regards.

tozOL
hi douglas,

hi douglas,

i have just this very morning bought one of these superb players, its charging as we speak.

i have no way of upping the manual in any way as i have never done it before, (anybody give me any tips and ill be glad to up it for you).

what i will do though if you want, is answer any questions you may want to know.

i will say it maybe a little hard for you, but ill help gladly.

one thing i will point out thats important for this player.

and there is 2 forms of action when you plug the usb cable in, and that is...

"mtp mode", and "normal playback mode."

the mtp mode looks default, and that is basically the charge mode, as it has its own internal battery.

so first thing i would suggest you do if you have not already done so, is plug in the usb cable and make sure the power gauge is flowing..( going right to left to indicate charghing), this will stop when its fully charged.

i dont know exactly were you are with the player as regards what you want to know but, stick it up on here, and i will be glad to help.

thanks

tozOL 

sandra67
I believe the makers of the

I believe the makers of the redgroove mp3 players are philips. I was told this after a lengthy conversation with an electronics salesman. I have also has=d problems downloading music onto it-but it won't beat me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connect With Techlore