Will my TV blow up...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ccjone
Will my TV blow up...

If i switch it off at the wall rather than the On/Off button? I'm thinking of buying one of the TV timers available to restrict the amount of TV my kids watch. Has anyone used any of the devices before? It works by cutting the power to the TV - will this damage my TV? I have an LCD in main room and they have small CRT's in their bedrooms.

any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

Larry Dillon
Thats a debatable matter. 

Thats a debatable matter.  Some say turning off a TV by pulling the plug will damage a TV set, some say hogwash.  I personally think it will prematurly mess up the power supply because of the surge that happens when you first plug in the set to the capacitors.  Just lay down the law and say no TV.  If they violate that rule, take away their TV or something else they love.  Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Matt Whitlock
Some TVs have options to

Some TVs have options to limit viewing time through the V-Chip that's integrated into all consumer displays. It depends on the make and model of the set, but worth investigating.

Larry Dillon
OH yea! Matt is right!  I

OH yea! Matt is right!  I forgot about that one.  Good Call there Matt!  Look in your owners manual or list the model and I will do my best to find out for you.

MOtvGuy
If you start disconnecting

If you start disconnecting power from TV sets by removing AC via a wall switch you'll probably get frustrated having to reprogram stuff every time you have to turn it back on. 

BTW, removing AC power from any of the lamp based rear projectors is a quick way to having to replace a $200 lamp.  Count on it.  

Connect With Techlore