Playing dvd on a computer

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tex Stra
Playing dvd on a computer

I bought a dvd recorder and recorded several vids.

These vids play o k when I play them back on the recorder,  or my other dvd player,  however they won't play as is on my computer.  It says a decoder plugin is reqd.

Videos I rent will play on my computer.

My question is,  why will a dvd rented play with no plugin and the ones I record won't ?

Thanks,

Tex 

Matt Whitlock
That is a strange issue.

That is a strange issue. Windows by itself doesn't have an MPEG2 decoder installed to play back DVDs, having a third party software package to play movies is normal. However, it's strange that it will play rented commercial discs, but not ones that you record.

What software are you using to play back your DVD movies?  Is the PC launching a different application to play your recorded movies?

Tex Stra
I can't remember which player

I can't remember which player I used, but I believe it was Windows Media Player, latest version,  10 or 11 or so.

I also have Real player and Pico player (which I am not familiar with) and movie shaker which I am also not familiar with.

When I try to play the ones I recorded,  it says that I need the plug in decoder,  when I went to MS website like they suggested,  it shows 4 various brands and price is about 20.00 for any of them. I feel it is not a bad dvd as it will play on my dvd player,  and on the dvd recorder too.

I don't mind the cost but it did seem odd the rented dvds would play, and I believe it was WMP which did.   When I insert it,  it asks which action do I want to do so I just hit play,  and I think WMP is my default player.

Maybe I should try with Real player etc ?

Thanks

Tex 

Matt Whitlock
Real player may work, though

Real player may work, though you may want to download a free trial of something like CyberLink Power DVD. If it works, you can purchase the software after the trial, or at least something similar.

Connect With Techlore