Orion TV won't turn on

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
yourtvman
Orion TV won't turn on

Orion tv M# FTV2701A  won't turn on . I have 5V at power switch . I would like schematic or service manual to  be able to check microprocessor. Unless someone has seen this before . All the tip databases so far are stumped. Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Dillon
Do you here a relay click

Do you here a relay click when pressing the power switch?

Larry Dillon
Ok go to the relay and trace

Ok go to the relay and trace back on the relays leads and see if there is a transistor that is connected to the relay.  Oh and how many volts are on the relay itself?

yourtvman
Relay has 12.4V . Tracing

Relay has 12.4V . Tracing back to Q504. D516 off the collector of Q504 reads bad in circut today. Nothing ( 0V ) on base or emitter  of Q504.

Larry Dillon
Take out the relay drive

Take out the relay drive transistor. test it with a diode checker.  Short the collector to emitter on the transistor on the PCB, does the TV come on?

yourtvman
Shorting collector to emitter

Shorting collector to emitter produces relay click  but still won't  start. Traces are so small  and jump around alot are almost impossible to trace back to micro-controller.

Larry Dillon
a transistor is probaly bad.

a transistor is probaly bad. How much voltage is on the collector and base with the set in off position. How much voltage is on the collector and base when you hit the power button?

yourtvman
Any particular transistor .

Any particular transistor . Q504 has 0V on base or emitter off or on no change. Base of relay driver tran. traces back to pin 62 of micro. Power switch go to pin 69 on micro. and 5V on power switch drop to 0V when pressed.

Larry Dillon
You sure that is the relay

You sure that is the relay driver transistor?  Disconnect the base and see if the voltage comes up on the base solder pad when you turn on the set.  If it does the transistor is shorted between the base abd emmitter.  if it does not check the transistor and make sure it is good.  If everything there looks good, there could be an open connection such as a bad jumber or resistor or a bad solder connection on the micro IC.  Check continuity from the micro to the base of the relay transistor solder pad.  If it is good, make sure the matrix of the switch is changing when the poer is switched and the logic on the scan and drive lines are good.  doubld check to see if the micro is oscilating.  See if the micro reset pin is high or low.  Do you have a schematic for this set?  If you do not your shooting in the dark at this point.

yourtvman
Rechecked relay driver tran,

Rechecked relay driver tran, tested ok , and replaced just to be sure. No voltage at pad or from micro pin 62. Trace checked ok. Switch checked ok. No schematic  ($30 + for that) , was hoping to avoid that . I would be willing to trade  a copy of some that I have for a copy of the one I need or maybe a reasonable amount. Soon to have more into tv than it is worth, but now it is about the challenge or  torture , one of those.

yourtvman
 I will  try to get a pin-out

I will  try to get a pin-out for micro or a cross reference to get one. Thanks again for your help so far.

yourtvman
THANKS FOR LOOKING.  BOUGHT

THANKS FOR LOOKING.  BOUGHT THE SCHEMATICS TODAY. 

Larry Dillon
Did you find anything?  

Did you find anything?

yourtvman
Nothing so far . The

Nothing so far . The schematic should be here in a couple of days from FOX International. Could not find datasheet on IC. Will let everyone know if or when I solve this one .

montblank
I have an FTV2701 that has no

I have an FTV2701 that has no sound. the audio chip has a MUTE input (I forgot the pin#) that is locked at 5V. I believe it leads back to the uProcessor chip.Would you be able to assist me in locating the problem?

ficommm
I have a FTV2701 and the TV

I have a FTV2701 and the TV went dead after storm. Cannot find a service manual. I do not have 5v at switch. I have checked entire power supply circuit and nothing is shorted or open that I can find. I am thinking that it might be the Processor?

Larry Dillon
i doubt that find the standby

i doubt that find the standby power supply and that will fix your set
Larry Diilon

montblank
Orion Model FTV2701A. Can

Orion Model FTV2701A. Can anyone give me an idea where the audio output chip MUTE input comes from? The MUTE input to the audio chip is at 5 volts all the time. My TV has no audio output. A simple scketch of the MUTE signal line would help.

Connect With Techlore