Closed Caption on Philips 20pt6441/37

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sridaffy
Closed Caption on Philips 20pt6441/37

Hi there. I am having problems with the closed captioning coming on after the tv has been turned off. When I power tv back on, the CC comes on after a few seconds and I must use the remote to turn it off. It is a minor irritation, but I would like to get it to stop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

mikegoetz1
Hey, after having no luck

Hey, after having no luck finding the answer to this on the Internet either for months I decided to give Philips a call.  Here's the answer:

1) Unplug your TV from the wall and wait about 15 seconds.

2) While TV is off, hold down the Power button on the TV and plug the TV back in while holding the Power button down.  TV should come on momentarily then shut off again.  Release Power button.

3) Turn on TV again, press the CC button on the remote to cycle to "CC Off". 

4) Turn off the TV and wait 15 to 30 seconds. 

5) Turn on the TV and captions are gone for good!

Applying AC power to the TV while holding down the Power button resets the TV to factory settings.  How the factory settings change the CC I have no idea but this trick worked for me.  Hope it helped! 

Sridaffy
lol....I have no idea how the

lol....I have no idea how the stupid thing even started doing it in the first place. The funny thing is, we were using that tv in our bedroom and a somewhat larger Philips-Magnavox in our living room, but 2 weeks ago, we gritted our teeth and shelled out 1200 for a new 42" LCD for our living room and now we have our old living room tv in our bedroom and the one mentioned with the CC problems has been sent to the garage Laughing. We will probably sell it when we have a garage sale sometime this spring, but I will be sure to write down your instructions and see if it works before we put it out to sell. Thank you so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous9535
This happened to me too.

This happened to me too. Thanks for the fix!

DKeon
How about if you do not have

How about if you do not have the remote, I accidentally
turned on the closed captioning without it, there
must be a way to turn them off without the remote.

Gatorbait
Wow... this almost worked.

Wow... this almost worked. No closed caption all night long. I turned off the TV to go to bed thinking this is great... no more closed captions. Then the morning came. I turned on the TV to watch the morning news... and yep, the closed captions had returned. I think it is simply that this model of Phillips TV is just a piece of junk.

Sbergerson
I have the same problem with

I have the same problem with a Phillips TV. The darn thing thinks I'm deaf. No matter how many times I use the factory remote to turn off closed captioning, it comes back on when I power up the tV.

There is no provision to adjust closed captioning in the tV menus. It is controlled solely by the CC button on the remote.

Connect With Techlore