After i replace the Q box................

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
schleprock
After i replace the Q box................

First a special thank u to > dans_repair_service for answering my previous post > TIMES TICKIN.......

my tv: sony kdf55wf655     55"lcd projection

im gonna buy a Qbox and replace it myself utilizing a web site i found where i guy replaced one and posted step by step instructions with pictures.I also paid to download a service manual for my tv and it has instructions for replacing the Q box in there also. anyways..........

the problem: does anyone know if my tv will require any type of calibration/adjustment of any kind after replacing the Q box. The guy that replaced his on the site i mentioned said he just turned his set on and it was good to go. thanx in advance to anyone that can help   : )

dans_repair_service
I checked with a few folks

I checked with a few folks and as far as they know, no additional work is required for the Q-box replacement.  Change it out and go.

Dan

schleprock
 dans_repair_service said: I

dans_repair_service said: I checked with a few folks and as far as they know, no additional work is required for the Q-box replacement. Change it out and go. Dan

well to quote an old cliche' > DAN - YOUR THE MAN!!!!!!

thanks again for responding and saving me some stress......

i gotta say ive posted on 2 other forums besides this one  >> got a semi response that didnt quite answer the problem on one site and the other site no one helped me out.......

conclusion ---> THIS SITE IS THE BEST !!!!!!!!!!      THANK U AGAIN 

Larry Dillon
Thanks for the response. 

Thanks for the response.  This site is the best because we are a community that cares! Let us know how this repair turns out.

schleprock
WELL........... the saga

WELL........... the saga continues...... bought Q box offered on ebay described as 'new'  and 'never been used'. Box arrived and i discovered immediately that it was not new.The little pushlever installed along the cable card slot was missing.(u push the lever to release the cable card), some of the heat sinks were slightly bent but for 199.00 bucks i could live without a cable card slot as i decided i would get a dvr anyways if i subscribed to dish hd programming.Any ways i install the thing taking care to manipulate wiring as little as possible.I had to unmount some items to get the Q box out but nothing scary. Long story short i fire up the set , scan for channels (holding breath) and ta - da HIGH DEF DIGITAL CHANNELS (13 of em)  BUT................ BA DUM DUM   ---> no anolog channels now   LOL!!!!!        *sigh* did i mention   i hate sony now :)

so now i have ta decide what to do next  >> first i need to find out if the analog tuner is one of the circuit boards inside the q box housing and if it is maybe i can remove the anolog tuner board from one qbox assembly and install it in the new one to make one good qbox. one last thing, if anyone is planning to replace a qbox out there.... it looks daunting at first but its not so bad...... the cool thing is it has lots of multiple pin plugs coming out of it BUT........ every single one of em is different so you cant get them mixed up I.E. 4 pin, 6 pin, intirely different plug altogether etc. anyone know the answer to my riddle post here please -----> is the analog tuner a part by itself or is it inside the Q box assembly?     cya's schlep

Larry Dillon
It is a seperate. Try first

It is a seperate. Try first doing a channel search as well as a reprogramming.

schleprock
Well had time to play with tv

Well had time to play with tv some more.............tried doing channel search again > always finds the digital channels but no analog. I tried doing a reset (holding reset button on the remote while turning the tv on) and going through the setup menu's like when it was new out of the box but alas >>> no analog. I cant imagine what i coulda screwed up putting the qbox in if the analog tuner is a seperate unit >> unless the RF signal passes through the qbox first before going to the analog sub tuner and perhaps the signal is not making it out of the qbox. I am  tempted to put the original qbox back in to see if the analog channels return which would implicate the replacement qbox as the culprit but i dont want to tempt fate ( something further going wrong). I guess on my days off i will take a look and verify all connections are snug and plugs firmly seated. I did notice reguarding the two qbox's >> they both have the same part numbers but on the same tag is stamped a VERSION NUMBER. One is version 22 and the other version 27. I dont know if that could be the problem either though i doubt it as again the hi def reception and picture is great and that is the function of the qbox. I will post on my days off after i take another peak inside again >>>>>>>>>>>>    schlep

TazLady
Am reading this thread with

Am reading this thread with interest. I have just been told my 60

TazLady
Am reading this thread with

Am reading this thread with interest. I have just been told my 60

VPelle2419
We have a cablecard error

We have a cablecard error (161-1) showing up on our Sony SXRD KDS-R50XBR1. But guess what we DO NOT have cable we have Directv HD Satellite. We were told by a sony authorized repair shop that we needed a Q-box to correct this problem. There does not seem to be anything wrong with our picture. That is that the error goes away when we press the "exit" on our remote but then re appears every 15 seconds. Does anyone know how to get rid of the cablecard error or dismantle the cablecard slot to see if the error goes away?

Connect With Techlore