Sony KP-53HS30: Settings changed in service menu, now no picture! Need help.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
bloomcounty
Sony KP-53HS30: Settings changed in service menu, now no picture! Need help.

Hi,

I've got a Sony KP-53HS30 rear projection big screen tv and I accidentally messed things up and desperately need some help!  :eek:

I went into the service menu in an attempt to adjust the overscanning because subtitles were getting cut off, and not knowing exactly which settings were for overscanning, I just went through then all and tried each one, and if it wasn't what I was looking for, I simply set it back to the original setting.

However, it all went terribly wrong when I came across some setting that, by changing it, I lost all picture on the set. I can hear the sound just fine now, but there is no longer any picture at all. The only thing I can see is if I press the auto convergence button, I can see it doing its thing. But that's it. No picture otherwise, even if I try to go back into the service menu (which I can do that bit by memory), nothing shows up on the screen.

What I *think* I've done is accidentally told the TV that it's a different model than what it really is. The instruction manual lists four other models othat than mine: KP-43HT20, KP-53HS20, KP-61HS20, & KP-61HS30. So I'm thinking perhaps the set now thinks it's one of these (?). So even if I were able to "reset" the whole thing to the factory settings, I'm thinking it'll just reset to the new model that it thinks it is...

So that's my theory. I guess it could be something else that got screwed up. Either way, I'm totally at a loss and could use some help!  :confused:

Of course, I realize I shouldn't have tackled it this way -- and any help is very much appreciated. I can't afford the hefty price tag to have a tech come out to fix the problem (and I'm guessing/hoping it's probably just a matter of pressing the correct buttons, etc.).

Any thoughts? Thanks very much!  :)

MOtvGuy
bloomcounty said:

bloomcounty said:
Hi,

I've got a Sony KP-53HS30 rear projection big screen tv and I accidentally messed things up and desperately need some help! :eek:

I went into the service menu in an attempt to adjust the overscanning because subtitles were getting cut off, and not knowing exactly which settings were for overscanning, I just went through then all and tried each one, and if it wasn't what I was looking for, I simply set it back to the original setting.

However, it all went terribly wrong when I came across some setting that, by changing it, I lost all picture on the set. I can hear the sound just fine now, but there is no longer any picture at all. The only thing I can see is if I press the auto convergence button, I can see it doing its thing. But that's it. No picture otherwise, even if I try to go back into the service menu (which I can do that bit by memory), nothing shows up on the screen.

What I *think* I've done is accidentally told the TV that it's a different model than what it really is. The instruction manual lists four other models othat than mine: KP-43HT20, KP-53HS20, KP-61HS20, & KP-61HS30. So I'm thinking perhaps the set now thinks it's one of these (?). So even if I were able to "reset" the whole thing to the factory settings, I'm thinking it'll just reset to the new model that it thinks it is...

So that's my theory. I guess it could be something else that got screwed up. Either way, I'm totally at a loss and could use some help! :confused:

Of course, I realize I shouldn't have tackled it this way -- and any help is very much appreciated. I can't afford the hefty price tag to have a tech come out to fix the problem (and I'm guessing/hoping it's probably just a matter of pressing the correct buttons, etc.).

Any thoughts? Thanks very much! :)

Thoughts?  Since you didn't know what you were doing in the first place your only hope is that you didn't write the wrong adjustment to memory.  Try unplugging the set, letting it sit for around 5 minutes and then plugging it back in and turning it on.

Otherwise, it looks like you'll be watching a black screen for awhile until you can spend the money to have a pro come look at it.  I hope you learned a lesson.  

bloomcounty
Thoughts?  Since you didn't

Thoughts?  Since you didn't know what you were doing in the first
place your only hope is that you didn't write the wrong adjustment to
memory.  Try unplugging the set, letting it sit for around 5 minutes
and then plugging it back in and turning it on.

Otherwise,
it looks like you'll be watching a black screen for awhile until you
can spend the money to have a pro come look at it.  I hope you learned
a lesson. 

I'm actually posting for a friend who did this... and when I posted that I (he) knew he shouldn't have tackled it that way, I figured that pretty much implied he admits he didn't know what he was doing exactly and that obviously a lesson was learned. So I don't really see the point of you posting to say all that. What purpose does it serve? And why do so many people have such an attitude on message boards? 

However, I'll suggest to him what you said to try, though I think he tried that already... Thanks for that part of your post at least. 

Does anybody else have any suggestions or know how to fix this? I think we've got the "he shouldn't have done that" part covered... :)

Connect With Techlore