After replacing a convergence circuit!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul A.
After replacing a convergence circuit!

Yesterday I replaced my convergence circuit on my Pioneer Elite projection tv.  It took me a while to diagnose the problem, with the help of techlore I was able to read enough to figure it out.  I did not replace anything on the original circuitboard, I found it easier for me being untrained to order a refurbished circuit from pioneer.  I had to remove two sub assemblies from my old board and resolder them to the new one.  Once I reset all my convergences both center and outer the colors and covergences are fine.  My only other problem is the picture is slightly out of level and very slightly bowed in at the top and bottom.  Is this corrected by the small adjustable "dials" on the circuitboard?  Next to them they have markings which say PIN, KEY, BOW, SKEW.  There are "dials" for both the normal and wide circuits clearly marked on the board.  Being a novice I would like to know if anyone has an answer to this problem before I begin messing with them. 

Thank You in advance Paul

MOtvGuy
Yes, normally a mylar grid is

Yes, normally a mylar grid is place over the front of the screen and the geometry adjustments are made to align up with that. It is possible to eyeball the adjustments.

Paul A.
Thanks, can you tell me what

Thanks, can you tell me what the "switches or dials" do.  What is PIN? What is KEY?  Thanks Paul

Larry Dillon
You really should not attempt

You really should not attempt to adjust this set blindly.  Get the service manual.

Paul A.
The service manual is

The service manual is available only on microfilm.  I called pioneer today and this is what they told me.  So I guess I could use some hints as to what to do.  Thanks Paul

Larry Dillon
Get the microfilm copy and go

Get the microfilm copy and go to the library as most have a microfim reader and printer.  If they do not have one call around to the local printing shops.  I will assist you if I can see the print first.  I do not adjust sets without a print, unless I know it very well. I will check with a few pals who handle Pioneer and see if they have an adjustment manual for this set.  I will need a complete model number first though.

Paul A.
Hi, my model # is PRO118.  It

Hi, my model # is PRO118.  It is a 63" Pioneer Elite.   Thanks Paul

Larry Dillon
Thanks, will get back at you

Thanks, will get back at you as soon as I can get in touch with my pals.

Larry Dillon
Ok I got the scoop on this TV

Ok I got the scoop on this TV set.  There is a small button that you need to stick a paperclip or ink pin into the small hole and push the power switch on.  This puts the set into a service mode.  Do not change anything, and exit out of the service mode, and turn the set off for 1 minute and turn the tV back on.  The eeprom should have reloaded the alighnments back into the new board.  If that does not work, you will for sure need the manual as there is about two hours worth of alighnments to do.  let me know if this helps.

Paul A.
This did reset my board.  I

This did reset my board.  I did not correct the alignment problem though.  It also set all the convergences back the way when I first installed it. That is correctable I can set the main and outer convergences through my remote.  I guess I should order the manual to correct the problems. The picture also tapers off lower on the left hand side, bottom line tickers like the ones on ESPN get half cut off on that side.  Thanks Paul

Larry Dillon
Yep, sorry the manual is now

Yep, sorry the manual is now needed. Good Luck

Connect With Techlore