Problem viewing picture from laptop to tv..

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
derekheppe
Problem viewing picture from laptop to tv..

I have a sony pcg 8j1l laptop and a Sanyo DP42746 Plasma TV.  I had to buy a cable that converted the VGA cable to the component cable .  I'm trying to view my computer screen on the televesion but no picture is showing up on the television.  I have the lines running into the tv on video one and the tv on video one.  Is there something I need to do on my laptop to view the computer screen on the television?

Matt Whitlock
What kind of cable did you

What kind of cable did you purchase? Do you have a picture of it, or a link to what you bought?

derekheppe
I bought a HDTV VGA to 3 RCA

I bought a HDTV VGA to 3 RCA-Python component

derekheppe
 VGA to RCA Component Cable -
Matt Whitlock
I've seen lots of people buy

I've seen lots of people buy cables like these, and while they may make the plugs fit together, they won't help the computer and TV speak the same language. As confusing as it is, component video signals and RGB signals are not the same thing.

Adapting the plugs is only part of the challenge, your TV (unless it has an input capable of seeing RGB signals with syncs on green) will only identify component video signals.

They don't give much info on that cable online, but I doubt it transcodes (the process which makes the PC work with the TV). There's a good chance that cable isn't what you need.

However, before we get ahead of ourselves, let's find out more about what you have. Most importantly, what make and model TV are you using, and what graphics card does your computer have? Knowing your OS will also help (Windows XP, 2000, Mac OSX, etc.)?

derekheppe
Thanks for your info. so far.

Thanks for your info. so far.  The make of the TV is a Sanyo DP42746 Plasma TV(2006)  I have windows xp is the os.  Where would I look for the graphics card?  the laptop is a sony vaio-pcg 8j1l. 

Matt Whitlock
Many notebooks feature a

Many notebooks feature a graphics processing unit provided by Intel called "Intel Extreme", but higher end notebooks feature a mobile version of an ATI or nVidia graphics processing unit. You can get information on your system hardware in the the Control Panel [control panel --> System --> hardware --> device manager]. Click on Display Adapters, and it should tell you what you have.

derekheppe
my graphics card is Mobility

my graphics card is Mobility Radeon 9000. 

Matt Whitlock
Your particular notebook

Your particular notebook sports a VGA connection and S-Video connection. Unfortunately, it doesn't make any mention of HD output via the ATI Radeon Mobility and compatible ATI adapter (meaning your notebook doesn't offer this), nor is there any mention on ATIs site that the VGA output on the Mobility 9000 can be configured to send anything other than RGB signals.

Based on the TV you have, you have no direct RGB input to work with, so the cable you have will not do you any good. Unfortuately, you'll need to see if you can return the cable. You do have the option to connect via S-Video, but obviously that won't give you the greatest picture quality in the end. However, real VGA to Component video transcoders are expensive. The option I typically recommend right now is the Key Digital ClearColor 3, which sells 300 and 350 bucks. It's pricey, but it does get the job done.

However, Sling Media is working on a device called the SlingCatcher. This device's main feature is to integrate with the Slingbox device to stream TV content from one place to another, but will include a feature called SlingProjector, which could just be the first consumer friendly way to get any Windows PC to connect to a television for... all for less than 200 bucks. It's not expected to be out until summer, so I can't give it a thumbs up yet. However, this could be a great option for you to look in to if you don't want to drop 325 on a transcoder.

derekheppe
I appreciate all the info. 

I appreciate all the info.  It almost seems like for what I want to do it would be better just to buy a $500.00+ projector to do powerpoint presentations or use an xbox360 to get an internet connection or some other means by the time you would spent that much money.  Would you agree.  The bottom line is I'm trying to show a presentation from a website already established.  Any other suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks again

Matt Whitlock
I'd try to connect via S

I'd try to connect via S-video. Set your desktop resolution to 640x480 or 720x480. It just may look good enough for you to do what you want to do without having to buy a projector or spend 300 bucks on a transcoder.

derekheppe
I don't actually even have an

I don't actually even have an s video on the laptop... So I'll probably have to do something else.  Thanks again.  Their going to refund my money for the cable I purchased.

Matt Whitlock
Hm. I may have looked at a

Hm. I may have looked at a slightly different laptop configuration than what you actually have. Sony builds VAIO laptops in a varity of different models based on the same chassis. The features always vary a little bit.

In this article (http://www.techlore.com/article/10061..., check the S-video page for a device that will help you get your VGA connection to work with S-video. Otherwise, I'd sit tight until that SlingCatcher device comes out. That could very well be the way to go, and I plan on reviewing it as soon as it becomes available. 

Stick around the TechLore Community! There's lots of cool stuff to learn, and no doubt you could help answer a question or two! 

Connect With Techlore