TV Tuner

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ckomom
TV Tuner

Can a surge of 9 volts burn up a tuner?  My satellite company made a mistake and sent a surge the wrong way.  Now they say that can't mess up a tv and wont pay to have my tv fixed.

Larry Dillon
What do you mean sent a surge

What do you mean sent a surge the wrong way?  A satellite company has no contact with your receiver or TV set unless it is connected through a phone connection.  Unless the receiver was hooked up the wrong way.  If someone took the sat dish input line and connected that to a TV set, it is possible that it could cause damage but not likely.  TV tuners have an isolated input coil and capacitor to prvent static discharge from burning up the RF section of the tuner.  A major lightning strike would damage a tuner as the high surge would jump across the isolation on the tuner input.

ckomom
It was something to do with a

It was something to do with a connection box outside the house.  He connected the wires to the box.  One wire ran inside my house and the other ran to the satellite on top of my house.  He ran some kind of test and then they went inside and the tv/satellite was not working.  He went back outside and realized he had hooked the wires backwords.  He switched them again and ran the test again.  Then they went into the room this tv was in and it smelt like something was burning.  The tv was off this whole time.  After they turned it on it never would get a clear picture and it has never worked since then.  The video output works fine but when you try to watch the satellite.  The tv starts to smell after a few minutes and the fuzziness of the picture starts getting worse and worse.  They say a nive volt surge from the test would not have hurt the tv?  I am trying to find out if it would.  Hope this clarifies a little.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks for all your help.

Larry Dillon
Have you had the TV set

Have you had the TV set looked at yet?  Is it the tuner that is making the smell?  If it is, I do not see how the wire running outside to the dish could have done anything to the TV set, as it is not connected to the TV set, the satellite recivers output is connected to the TV set. Unless he had the salellite connected wrong INSIDE the house, not the outside of the house would that have anything what-so-ever with the tuner going bad.

dans_repair_service
In some satelite setups the

In some satelite setups the LMBs in the dish get their power from the house unit. It is possible that the connection being backwards sent power over the coax cable into the tuner. I would find it unlikely that this would cause the tuner to "burn up" though. Get the set examined by a tech and go from there. Without a third party diagnosis, you won't get far.

ROB19
Hi

Hi
I have a GM2848 TV tuner. I want it to connect to my TV. I need instructions and help regarding this.
Thank you

Connect With Techlore