Questions about surge protectors.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
John Bigbootie
Questions about surge protectors.

Hello. I have recently purchased a new HD LCD (SCOTT 37"). I have a surge protector by Belkin (SurgeMaster II, transient voltage surge protector, Joule rating unknown) that I have had for several years. It has the input/outputs for phone line, but not cable/antenae. I am not using cable anyway though on this set, and only an interior antenae. One of my questions is; do surge protectors work less effectively as they age? My impression is that LCDs are more sensitive to fluxuating voltages than the trusty CRTs we all grew up with (and which in my book will be somewhat missed,although not their bulk). Another question; I have purchased a new Monster Power LCDTV PowerProtect surge protector (1,100 Joules). This is a two outlet protector intended apparently for only the set and one other piece of equipment. My intention was to plug this into my current protector (which I need all the other outlets on for my other equipment) and then only plug my LCD into it. If you are wondering why I didn't just get a whole new multi-outlet protector, they were much more expensive and I felt my current one must still be good enough for the more traditional stuff I have plugged into it. Am I missing something as to why this might not be a good way/good idea to add additional protection for my new LCD. Is there something more I should be doing to protect a LCD. Thanks in advance for any advice. PLUR

BruceS
I didn't even consider a

I didn't even consider a surge protector when I purchased a samsung DLP HDTV two years ago.

There
are too many power outages and power fluctuations in my area to use
just a surge protector. The projector that I was using before the HDTV
had two bulbs blown out during the two years before I purchased a UPS.

Of
course a DLP HDTV uses a lamp that needs to be cooled down by a fan in
the TV after it is powered off to prevent lamp burnout, just like the
projector.

Figuring the cost of a HDTV, it seems to be a small
investment to add the additional protection of a UPS. The chief problem
is to find one with enough outlets that are battery powered when power
is lost to protect all your other electronic equipment in addition to
your HDTV.

I am currently using two UPS's to protect all my equipment. 

Larry Dillon
You can purchase a small

You can purchase a small great UPS at office max for less the a C-Note

Connect With Techlore