AKAI Rear Projection PT5598HD

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lady T
AKAI Rear Projection PT5598HD

This is my first post. I purchased a AKAI Rear Projection 55" Big Screen TV model PT5598HD at an auction.  My problem is that it was "AS IS" and what I recieved as an "AS IS" was a good remote and a nice big screen.  I have called everywhere and no one seems to work on it in my community.

I turn it on and the red timer button  flashes about 10 times and then shuts off.  There is no sound or picture. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how expensive or where someone can order parts?

ThanksCry

Lady T

Larry Dillon
I'm sorry you seem to have

I'm sorry you seem to have gotten a dead set.  Almost anything from a power supply to a blown sweep circuit could be the problem with this TV set.  There are no real user replaceable parts inside these solid state TV set.  The only advice I can give you would be for you to call the company direct to try and locate someone who works on these TV sets.  You may even have to trasport it to them. Good Luck, and let us know how you made out.

USA AKAI CUSTOMER CARE
1-800-726-4405
Hours of operation (Eastern Time):
8:30 am ~ 9:00 pm (Monday through Friday)
9:00 am ~ 5:00 pm (Saturday)

Lady T
Thank you kindly Larry.  I

Thank you kindly Larry.  I couldn't  find a number for AKAI and at least you have provided that. Perhaps I should just chalk it up to experience and go back to the auction to bid on one that is working and pay more, huh!

I am looking for a big screen, is Sony and Panasonic pretty stable?

Best Regards

lady T

Lady T
This is what I found out. 

This is what I found out.  For AKAI PT5598HD, which is home based in California, call Samsung 1-888-697-2247.  AKAI is built with Samsung parts. You can also go to samsungparts.com or samsung.com.  Both sites allow you to type in the model number and give the run down on pricing of parts.

However, when I corresponded to  Moderator, Larry Dillion, he fiqured perhaps a sweep circuit or power supply could be the culprit.  Unfortunately, I do not see those items listed, so perhaps they are discontinued/obsolete and I have a DEAD DEAL on this Projection TV. The most expensive is the CRT's Blue, Green and Red at $241.45 each.

As far as authorized service centers, the samsung site is upgrading their authorized dealers until tomorrow and I'm at a stand still until then  to see if the service center can shed anymore light.

I also learned through futher search, AKAI was sold through Walmart and Sams Club priced new around $1000 for this 55" Rear Projection TV.

LADY T

MOtvGuy
Yep, many of those AKAI rear

Yep, many of those AKAI rear projo's were Samsung based.  Many of the boards that used to be available from Samsung for Samsung sets are unavailable and are repair only. If you've ever seen Samsungs service manuals for those sets they stink, to say the least.  There are probably aftermarket rebuilders for those boards like PTS but I've found the reliability of those boards shakey at best. 

Larry Dillon
I have very very rarly used

I have very very rarly used any PTS boards or even alot of the older RCA or Zenith rebuilt boards, as we had fixes for most of them, unless the fly was bad, and it is cheaper to exchange a zenith module then it is to replace a fly. I once had a old customer try to replace a board by themself. They got the board  from PTS.  It was bad, had a differant problem then what the original did. Got another new one, had a differant problem.. He went and did this three times, then finally called me. I got an exchange Zenith board.  Worked great.

jacquie
Any update on this one?  I

Any update on this one?  I have the exact same issue on a slightly smaller model (Akai PT4298HDX / Samsung HCM4216W)

Lady T
My set is now fixed.  I had

My set is now fixed.  I had to order a deflection board, which is really the circuit board. Part number BP94-00501W.  I ordered an orginial Samsung from Andrews Electronics in Santa Clarita, CA PH 800-274-4666.  The repair person I used to fix it was from the ad in the back of a local paper.  He wasn't certified but my only hope,  as no one else would touch it.  He had given me another phone number for another company who wanted $285. The fellow didn't have the money to purchase it and then resell to me so he gave me the part number and said he located one for the $285

After the internet search I came up with the above supplier, Andrews Electronics, as the least expensive at $145.08. It then required a CR device (gets rid of shadows) at $155.  My total cost in now $535...parts, labor and purchasing at an auction in non-working order.

Since nearly everything is new, I should be good to go for 3 years, I hope.

jacquie
Thanks for the update.  I got

Thanks for the update.  I got another bit of help on another forum (http://forum.eserviceinfo.com/viewtopic.php?p=53123#53123).  Since that worked, I'm going to order the parts for the ICS's (STK392-040) & look up the replacement for the board (P58A BENHUR BP41-00045B).

If it all works out, I'll update everyone.

Larry Dillon
Thanks for all of the great

Thanks for all of the great info everyone. This is what makes techlore.com the greatest!

Ron Repking (not verified)
I think I too am having a

I think I too am having a convergence problem.  I have a 4 year old AKAI PT5598HDI with the bow-tie image.  ( http://byon.com/akai1.jpg ).  I ordered 2 STK392-040 from http://www.slelectronics.net/, and installed them, and get the same issue.  In fact, I get the same image even with the board removed, so I do think something on the board is at fault.  I checked the large resistors and all looked fine visually.  They were marked 150 ohm, and there were all as 2 in parallel, and they each measures 75 ohms, which is correct.  I couldn't find any pico fuses on the board to replace, perhaps someone else can point them out to me.  http://www.byon.com/akai4.jpg .  If not, I guess my next plan is to get a replacement BP41-00045B board.    Thanks for any suggestions.

Byon 

Larry Dillon
You might have purchased the

You might have purchased the wrong IC's. If these IC,s do not have the word Sanyo printed on them, they are cheapo aftermarket or manufacturer reject IC's. you really should replace the ics with the proper ones. You also probably have a missing feed voltage coming from the power supply. This is where experience comes into play. if you do not understand how to trace circuit flow using a schematic diagram, or do not know how to trace and trouble shoot solid state printed circuits, play it safe and call in a pro to assist you. Good luck

Ron Repking (not verified)
Further Update. The power

Further Update. The power connector on the board is labeled "-20V GND GND +20V". I'm getting 20V, but not the -20V. Are the pico fuses located on the main power supply board perhaps?

Larry Dillon
Yes they are. Trace back the

Yes they are. Trace back the printed circuit traces, of course with the set off and see if they go to pico fuses or to regulator IC"s Good Luck

Meltexas
I hope this thread is still

I hope this thread is still active, I have found at least one other person in this forum that has the same issue, a PT5598HDIX with a rainbow bow tie. Byon indicated that a technician replace 2 STK392-040 after he had donethe same thing but the technician did something with the power supply. I am hoping for more specific info, Like was a pico fuse on the power supply that was the root cause or does the issue need the boards as well. My situation may be a little different as the manual convergence adjustments do no have effect. I ca use the "mute, 1,8,2" and the "mute, 1,8,3" with no effect.

REgards, from texas, dead projection prior to supperbowl what a bummer.

Larry Dillon
It is NEVER jsut the fuses.

It is NEVER jsut the fuses. Those are there to protect the power supply from blowing out. Always replace the IC's and then the pico fuses.

Meltexas
I ordered the replacement

I ordered the replacement board, BP95-00142e, I'll replace it first then see what happens.

Thanks to all especially Byon. I'll let you know.

Meltexas
Well I have replaced the BP95

Well I have replaced the BP95-00142E board this did not solve the problem, I am going to try to trouble shoot the main power supply. Does anyone have the schematics or a place I can get them. The part # on the main board is AA41-00911A .

Regards,

Mark

Lady T
Meltexas said: Well I have

Meltexas said: Well I have replaced the BP95-00142E board this did not solve the problem, I am going to try to trouble shoot the main power supply. Does anyone have the schematics or a place I can get them. The part # on the main board is AA41-00911A . Regards, Mark

This is what I found out.  For AKAI PT5598HD, (my TV) which is home based in California, call Samsung 1-888-697-2247.  AKAI is built with Samsung parts. You can also go to samsungparts.com or samsung.com.  Both sites allow you to type in the model number and give the run down on pricing of parts and books in your case.  Hope this helps.  I fixed my TV a year ago and its still perfect.

See January 7,2007 Post...Lady T

Larry Dillon
Lady T I did not know that!

Lady T I did not know that! Thanks for the great input!

Meltexas
Thanks for the info, I have

Thanks for the info, I have already checked that site and called to confirm that the power board (AA41-00911A) is no longer available. I have contacted Bammel TV in Houston to see if they will make repairs to a board I bring in, if they will I will attempt it, if not I'll offer this unit for parts and or try to sell it to the shop and get a new one. You would think a TV would last more than 3.5 years. but you get what you pay for this one was actualy cheap. ANy recommendations on a big screen hd?

Thanks EVeryone.

HDTV Trouble
My tv is showing a red and

My tv is showing a red and green shadow on the picture, what can I do to fix this problem?

Larry Dillon
chang the convergence board

chang the convergence board most likely if it looks like the picture is in 3-D

pennylee
Hi, have a Akia model PTH5498

Hi, have a Akia model PTH5498, need ic convergence amps 2. Will a STK392-040 work on my set? Thank's

Dragonsfire8
I found the same tv on the

I found the same tv on the street someone was throwing it out.  it had the same problem when turned on just the red light flashed.  so i diconnected the convergence board then tried to turn on and everything came on but the picture was curved.  i bought a new convergence board and it now works beautifuly.

pennylee
Hi, have a Akia model PTH5498

Hi, have a Akia model PTH5498, need ic convergence amps 2. Will a STK392-040 work on my set? Thank's

Dragonsfire8
I found the same tv on the

I found the same tv on the street someone was throwing it out.  it had the same problem when turned on just the red light flashed.  so i diconnected the convergence board then tried to turn on and everything came on but the picture was curved.  i bought a new convergence board and it now works beautifuly.

rpf2407
My PT5598HD is doing the same

My PT5598HD is doing the same thing, red light flashes for 9-10 times then nothing. I did as Dragonfire and took out the convergence board. The set now will bring up the menu when selected (although slightly bowed). Does this point to a bad convergece board? Thanks

evil
hello all and thanx for the

hello all and thanx for the wealth of info as always:)i to have the same problem with the akai pt5598hd today i recieved my stk ic's and was checking some of the resistors around the old ic's on the CG pcb and found 2 open and they are 3.9 ohm.

evil
UPDATE ITS FIXED i ordered

UPDATE ITS FIXED i ordered some 3.9 typical resistors from the net but when i got them the color band calculator said they were 2.9 but when i measured them with my volt meter they came out be at or closely around 3.9 ohms.my other problem is looks like blood drops on my screen,but ive traced it to the green crt.

SirBink
not sure if this thread is

not sure if this thread is still open. hope it is.

I bought a PT5598HDI for cheap, obviously. works great excepth the colors are off and its a bit blurred. a lot of red and greens. other than that the picture is fine. is this just a matter of replacing a bulb, or is there a problem somewhere else like the convergence board?

any help would be greatly appriciated

-zach

Pages

Connect With Techlore