samsung dvd/vhs player

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
retired tv tech
samsung dvd/vhs player

I have a samsung dvd combo.Model dvd v2000.The problem i have is the dvd will not load the new release movies.It shows loading but a message says can't read disc.This only happens with new dvd's.I have repaired tv's and video cassete players,have not worked on dvd players.Any help will be appreciated.

Edward

Larry Dillon
Edward, your problem could be

Edward, your problem could be a simple one or one that will require you to take the unit into a shop to be alighned.  Try first to clean off the laser lens inside the unit witH a damped cotton swab and see if that helps.  If it does not, you may have a problem with the laser being weak, or the tracking and or focus servos may need tweeking or alighned.  Sometimes a tech can bring up the laser intensity but that is only a bandaid fix.  Unfortainatly, alos of units like this need laser pick-up assy's and the cost to repair is about half or better then the the replacement cost of a new unit.  Good mLuck and let us all know how you made out with this unit.

retired tv tech
Thanks Larry,i did take cover

Thanks Larry,i did take cover off the player.but not exactly sure

if the laser is under the tray.Being that my experience is on tv repair

and video cassette repair.What i noticed is a metallic ring under the tray.

Thanks for your quick reply!!Have Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year,Edward

Larry Dillon
If it is a single disc player

If it is a single disc player, you should see the disc in the middle where the disc sits on to the platter or turntable. there should be a small lens looking citcular item. that should be the lens right next to the turntable.

dans_repair_service
Edward,  The rpoblem you

Edward,  The rpoblem you describe is usually either a dirty lens (Larry told you how to clean this) or bad optics.  The alternative possibility is that the DVD is not loading completely.  I am not familiar with the V2000 model, but if there is a belt associated with the loading mechanism and the belt slips, the load may not be complete.  This will show up as not being able to read the disk.  Check for this as well.

A word of caution though,  when cleaning the lens, DO NOT apply pressure.  The lens assembly is focused using an electromagnet (coils that condust electricity).  The lens assembly is floating on a few small wires.  Too much pressure will break or distort these causing other problems.

Dan

retired tv tech
When i looked at the loading

When i looked at the loading mechanism it is belt driven.

The belt seemed fairly loose,not sure if it should have some

tension.The one thing i did that i forgot to mention is when i had problem

with loading,i hit open and before it fully opened i hit close.the dvd i tried

finally loaded.Sorry for leaving that out.Thanks for your reply!

Edward

Larry Dillon
Yeppers that could be

Yeppers that could be important. As you were told, make sure the mechanism is loading all the way. how you can tell when the units open, is that the disc sits all the way onto the platter and the lems tries to foucus up and down. If the lens does not move, most likley the unit is not loading the disc all the way. Never Please, when asking for help, leave anything out!

dans_repair_service
The best course of action at

The best course of action at this time is to replace the loading belt.  It has loosened up enough to prevent the final load lock.  Changing this should resolve the problem.

retired tv tech
Being in tv etc. repair i

Being in tv etc. repair i fully understand that when i serviced to

ask what is the nature of problem.Does it turn on ,can you hear sound,is there a pcture.I am sorry that i left that out.Thanks again.Just one more question can you tell me where to get parts for dvd players?

Edward

p.s i'm not asc certified.

Larry Dillon
Part Number: 6602-001076

Part Number: 6602-001076
Division: DVD Player
Description: BELT-RECTANGULAR // APPROX 1 INCH DIA
Stock Availability: In-Stock

And Sir I was not repermanding you or talking down on you.  I was simply stating how important all the facts are, but know we know them  No problem.. Go HERE and order your belt or any other part you may need.  Good luck, and let us know how you made out   Merry Christmas

retired tv tech
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
I did not take it as talking down to me.
Sincerely,Edward

dans_repair_service
Edward, If you can not find

Edward, If you can not find the belt, send me an email with your address and I'll send you one. I have them in stock. Dan

retired tv tech
Thanks,Dan i will check that

Thanks,Dan i will check that out tommorow.

I saved the site on favorites,and will try to order one.

Edward

retired tv tech
Hello i ordered a belt.I put

Hello i ordered a belt.I put a dvd in and the dvd player loaded without a problem.but after warnings about copying etc.the disc said to hit menu to go straight to movie to get by previews.when i did it stopped and the same message can not read disc.when i retired from my tv repair business i sold everything except my simpson vom,and i now own a fluke 12 digital meter.When my rear projo.went out i used the fluke to troubleshoot the problem.found bad convergence amps and two resistors burnt.to troubleshoot dvd players i am guessin a scope would be needed.can the belt cause the problem with the dvd not advancing to menu?

Thanks,Edward

dans_repair_service
My guess is that the loading

My guess is that the loading mechanism is out of time. The loading gears are driven by the same motor as the DVD sled. If it is out of time, the sled won't move. This will allow the index to be read (as you have seen), but will not alow the rest of the disc to be accessed.

retired tv tech
Thanks,Dan i guess after i

Thanks,Dan i guess after i replace belt when it arrives,it will have to realigned at a service center.not sure if it requires adjustment procedure.

Thanks,Edward

Elise
dans_repair_service said:

dans_repair_service said: Edward,  The rpoblem you describe is usually either a dirty lens (Larry told you how to clean this) or bad optics.  The alternative possibility is that the DVD is not loading completely.  I am not familiar with the V2000 model, but if there is a belt associated with the loading mechanism and the belt slips, the load may not be complete.  This will show up as not being able to read the disk.  Check for this as well.   A word of caution though,  when cleaning the lens, DO NOT apply pressure.  The lens assembly is focused using an electromagnet (coils that condust electricity).  The lens assembly is floating on a few small wires.  Too much pressure will break or distort these causing other problems.   Dan

Hi Dan,

I, too, have a simular problem (disc not loading) except I don't think it will load anything.  I have cleaned the lens (I think it is the lens).  I do see it spring up and down.  (I assume that means the wires are in place.)  I have also check the belt and it seems to have tension.  (However, I do see two gears.  One pea-size gears infront of the units to the left (front view).  The other is larger (quarter-size) located in the rear on the right side.  Neither seem to move.  I manually moved the larger gear and it appears the lens moved back.  When I tried to load again, the error message was "no disc".  Is this a good indication the belt needs to be replaced?

I do hear the motor running and a few clicks, but then it stops.

Error Message: ...will not dispaly and ...check the disc. 

Thanks so much....  Elise

Elise
Hi Dan,

Hi Dan,

I, too, have a simular problem (disc not loading) except I don't think it will load anything. I have cleaned the lens (I think it is the lens). I do see it spring up and down. (I assume that means the wires are in place.) I have also check the belt and it seems to have tension. (However, I do see two gears. One pea-size gears infront of the units to the left (front view). The other is larger (quarter-size) located in the rear on the right side. Neither seem to move. I manually moved the larger gear and it appears the lens moved back. When I tried to load again, the error message was "no disc". Is this a good indication the belt needs to be replaced?

I do hear the motor running and a few clicks, but then it stops.

Error Message: ...will not dispaly and ...check the disc.

Thanks so much.... Elise

dans_repair_service
There should not be any

There should not be any clicking. I would suspect that one of the end sensor switches is bad. This means that the unit never realizes that the optics are in the "home" position. This will prevent the system from reading the disk. Unfortunately, that part is not a "field replacable part" from the view of Samsung. The only "part" is the optical assembly which is relatively costly. Try inserting a CD rather than a DVD. If the CD plays, that is an indication that the laser has lost the ability to generate the proper power for reading DVDs. This will require replacement of the optical assembly.
Keep us updated.
Dan

Elise
dans_repair_service said:

dans_repair_service said: There should not be any clicking. I would suspect that one of the end sensor switches is bad. This means that the unit never realizes that the optics are in the "home" position. This will prevent the system from reading the disk. Unfortunately, that part is not a "field replacable part" from the view of Samsung. The only "part" is the optical assembly which is relatively costly. Try inserting a CD rather than a DVD. If the CD plays, that is an indication that the laser has lost the ability to generate the proper power for reading DVDs. This will require replacement of the optical assembly. Keep us updated. Dan

My Dearest Dan,

You are absolutely gifted!  I inserted a CD and it worked.  I suppose this means it is the optical assembly.  May I ask, the cost?

Thank you so much....

Elise

dans_repair_service
I no longer work with these

I no longer work with these on a daily basis, so I don't have exact costs, but figure on $75 for the part at a minimum. This comes as an assembly not just the optics.

Sorry about the bad news.
Dan

Larry Dillon
Dan is about right, last one

Dan is about right, last one I replaced for a customer who said cost was no object because it used to beloge to a passed love one was about 90 bucks with the shipping.

Bud Rose
I to am having the same

I to am having the same problems as stated above by many with the following exceptions: Do I have to take the cover off in order to clean the lens??
Also if I load a CD it only shows LOAD & will not play. If I load a DVD it appears to go into a loop & just constantly says "LOADING" until I remove the DVD. It is a long time between trying to use the unit & it just sits. Maybe months inbetween using. The unit is Samsung DVD V2000.

Thanx for any help you can provide.

Connect With Techlore