Can these Speakers play true Dolby Digital 5.1?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
malcolm333
Can these Speakers play true Dolby Digital 5.1?

I'm kind of new to the whole surround sound "scene" and have a question. I have a Logitech Z-5300E 5.1 Surround Sound Computer Speaker System. I know that the next model up (Z-5500's) have a built in Dolby Digital and DTS decoder. I can't find anything on Dolby Digital for the Z-5300E's. What I want to know is if I play a DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound in my PC will I be getting the full 5.1 experience with these speakers? Forgive me for being "out of the loop" when it comes to speakers, I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm just curious.

Larry Dillon
The speakers can only re

The speakers can only re-produce what the design or specs of the speakers or amp is able to do. Almost, or I shoud say any speaker can play back a 5.1 signal, if it is hooked up properly and the range of the speaker is used with in the speakers designed range of function and or to the extent of what the speaker is being used for.

malcolm333
I actually don't have them

I actually don't have them yet (Getting them for Christmas) but they will be hooked up to an Audigy 4 soundcard which means they will be using the three 3.5mm wires (Front, Rear, Centre/Sub). I just wasn't sure if I need to have a Dolby Digital Decoder in the speakers but I'm assuming the sound card decodes the audio right?

Larry Dillon
The Logitec should do just

The Logitec should do just fine, Merry Christmas.

dans_repair_service
The digital 5.1 designation

The digital 5.1 designation indicates that there are actually 6 sound signals present: left/right front, left/right rear, center and sub. In order to produce this in entirety there should be 6 speakers in total. Unless you are in the exact center of the front and rear speakers, you won't get 100% of the effect (you'll get close though!) Most speaker systems simulate the effects so that it sounds like multiple speakers. For example, the center channel is mostly for speach and clarity. Providing similar signals to the left and right front speakers will produce the same effect. The sub filters out any signal higher than 120Hz and only sends oout the lower frequencies. Since the lower frequencies are not directional, there is no specific requirement for placement ofhte sub(this is why they are usually hidden behind furniture etc.)

Bottom line: You will be happy with the ones you chose.

malcolm333
I've actually changed the

I've actually changed the kind that i'm getting. I checked out an early boxing day sale online and found that I get get the next model up, the Z-5450's for $269CAD opposed to the regular price of $605. I figure it's a good deal. The rear ones are wireless but from what I read there is no audible signal loss. They also have digital in on them which means I can connect my DVD player directly to them. For $70 more I figure these are worth it.

Connect With Techlore