Samsung 65" Rear Projection w/ 5D image

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
EmoryJ
Samsung 65" Rear Projection w/ 5D image

Greetings out there.  I have a 2 year old Samsung (HCN653W) 65" Rear Projection w/ hella 5D image and I don't have any special glasses to watch it with. Yes this did happen over night! The picture image is also bowing in from the top and bottom of screen.  I had a repair company come by to give an estimate.  As soon as they looked at it they said "oh we know exactly whats wrong, it's the convergence chip", they said without opening anything.  They estimated $420 right away to repair.  Are they talking about the convergence amp?  I have read about IC's and STK's on this forum. I was thinking of ordering a convergence amp, but I dont really care to cause more damage if theres soldering envolved. I have quite a bit of electronics repair experience, but not on tv's. I would like to repair it myself.  Help :( Need my tv for New Years

Larry Dillon
EmoryJ, Yes that is a bit
EmoryJ, Yes that is a bit steep to repair the convergence PC board assemble, when its available as a complete unit for around 120 bucks.  Go HERE, and enter your model number to see the parts available for your model.  There will most likley be some alighnment involved, so If I were you, I would try and get a service manual for this set HERE.  If you want to solder the IC's into place yourself and save a few bucks, you can get the IC's your going to need from http://www.partstore.com.  Good Luck, and please let us know how you make out with this repair.
EmoryJ
Thanks LD.  I found that the

Thanks LD.  I found that the parts are cheaper on partsstore.com.  The Conv Amp is only $88.  -I'm just not sure what all I should purchase.?.?  It seems thats all the techs were talking about, but they referred to it as a chip.   I guess I need the manual like you said.  I took a picture of the board, i'll put it on the message.

Thanks  

Larry Dillon
It is those two big black ICs

It is those two big black ICs on the upper right, they start with STK.

nightstick
had the same problem six

had the same problem six months ago had a tv repair guy out and paid 400 dollars to replace the convergence amp which just took a shit again yesterday  real simple to replace he was done with it in exactly two minutes so im just going to order another one.

EmoryJ
What's up Nightstick?  Damn,

What's up Nightstick?  Damn, so they got you.  I'm trying to eliminate that crap.    Do you have the same model?  Did they do the repair at your home?  I just ordered the service manual.  I plan to do my own repair too.  Did you notice anything special during the removal and replacing of the conv amp.     

Larry Dillon
One big problem alot of

One big problem alot of repair places will do is use the after market IC's that are not up to the manufacturers specs!. They simply just do not last as long as they should. Also alot of techs will simply throw them in where the old ones were but you must scrap off the old heat sink compound and replace with a nice coat of new compound. Now for these counterfit IC's. To tell it several peeps say "oh I got the IC's for 5 to 10 bucks a peice". Guess what they will be in the same boat they are in now a few months down the road. Also if you have no printed circuit board repair experience, I highly recommend that you get someone who has, as you can cause more damage then good. Even at places such as partstore.com they will have aftermarket IC's for sale. they get those foe a few bucks a peice. why do you think an original JVC or Mitshubsi convergence IC cost 45 to 80 bucks? Its because these are the part specs the set was manufactured for. These circuits are designed to run at almost full trottle, meaning at full specs, with little to no room for errors. Do your selfs a favor, do not go with the cheap parts as I will soon have to say i told you so.

EmoryJ
Thanks again LD, great info.

Thanks again LD, great info. How do we know we are purchasing OEM parts?  Is Samsung the only ones to get the parts from?  Happy Holidays to all you out there.

Larry Dillon
If the parts are replacements

If the parts are replacements or like, OK 5 to 15 bucks a pop, they are counterfit parts.  It is hard to tell, but Please be safe and remember NEW heat sink compound!  Peace and good will to all this Christmas season.  God bless to you and yours!

nightstick
repair guy came out and

repair guy came out and replaced the convergence amp   six months later  same problem so i  just ordered a new one and am waiting for the part as we speak.  Blue cross hairs on convergence not able to move them to correct the problem so i figured it was the same thing that went out the first time.  The part  in simple to install saw the  technician take it out the first time  all it is is a few screws and a  plug in. u should have no problem finding the convergence amp when u get the new one. unplug  the tv and replace the part it really is that simple. I hope this helps u and i just saved u 400 plus dollars for a repair that takes two minutes.

nightstick
ps i have the same tv  a

ps i have the same tv  a Samsung HCN653 W  and is the exact problem u r describing so save yourself all the soldiering and just buy the replacement part for $88 dollars  plus shipping

Larry Dillon
Yes nightstick, on the

Yes nightstick, on the Samsung projection TVs I have said it is better to replace the entire board instead of repairing it. So all who do not know, go to http://www.samsungparts.com/ and enter your model number, and you will see the list of parts available to purchace. In case you do not see the part your looking for, contact Samsung, Via E-Mail or there is a phonre contact. Merry Christmas.

EmoryJ
Whew!!!  Thanks much LD.  I

Whew!!!  Thanks much LD.  I Finally got new conv board in.  Installed a couple of hours ago.  After careful install and about 20 minutes of adjustments, Everything back together with 1 problem.  Theres a 1" gap at left side of screen from top to bottom??

Larry Dillon
If you got the manual, look

If you got the manual, look for the horizontal centering, and if you cannot fill the screen after centering the picture, adjust the width for about a half inch to an inch over scan from side to side.

EmoryJ
Now, i'm a litl pissed.  I

Now, i'm a litl pissed.  I purchased this TV over 2 years ago and now I find out that I was given the wrong  remote.  It works fine for gen application, but lacks the conv adjustment features of the original remote.   I am still working to adjust the horizontal centering (difficult w/out the oe remote. I'm almost done.  I'll figure it with this remote somehow.  Can't believe I let Best Buy do me like that.

Bosman
Hi,

Hi,

I'm Joe, first time poster to this forum.

I have a Samsung HCP-4752W less than 2 years old and just stated getting doulble images and only green and pink colors.  Samsung of course says its out of warranty and recommend be to a local repair shop, about $400!!!

Can I really replace the part myself?

I went to the parts link and I think this is the part I need from what I have read and what the repair guy said.

http://www.samsungparts.com/part_deta...

Would appreciate any input.

TIA

Joe 

Larry Dillon
Bosman, no you need the

Bosman, no you need the convergence board assembly my friend.  I don't think that is it.  You also will need the service manual, so you can do the convergence  alighnment properly after the board or IC's are replaced  Once you recieve a servce manual, look up the part number for the proper board and go back to the samsung part's look-up and see if you can get it there .  Some Samsung boards are no longer available, as they only imported a few when they imported the projection sets.   If that is the case, you will need to have the IC's replaced on the convergence board.  Good Luck, and please keep us informed of the repair progress on this TV.

EmoryJ
Hey Joe, listen to LD.  He

Hey Joe, listen to LD.  He knows what he's talking about.  Thanks much LD, the new Conv board works great. Easy R&R, but a adjustments crazy. I figured out the conv with the remote (little difficult), but I worked it out.  I need the oem remote, but I might not purchase it due to my next venture of possibly selling this big boy and replacing it with a 70"+ DLP.  I like the Samsung models but i'm seeking research on who has the best quality/endurance for the pocket.  Any favorites on DLP's LD?   Go Joe! Do it yourself.  Save Mucho!  My total cost was $94 and about 30 minutes of adjustments.

Larry Dillon
Good For you emoryJ,  Another

Good For you emoryJ,  Another success story!.  I like the Pioneer plasmas, Make sure you include in the budget when you buy a LCD, Plasma, or a DLP set, an extended 5 year warranty.  This sets have boards that are very expensive, and sometimes it is hard to diagnoise the boards as to exactly what board is bad.  Not a repairable item like the tube sets.

Bosman
Actually Samsung agreed to

Actually Samsung agreed to pay for the repair.  Thanks for all your help.

TV is working finr, they actually sent a service guy out that very day.

Larry Dillon
Good for you Bosman, so was

Good for you Bosman, so was it fixed and what did it take to get the set to work properly again?

mikeymlf
Hello, I also have a Samsung

Hello, I also have a Samsung HCN653WX TV.  I am experiencing some wavy vertical lines throughout the whole screen, and from what I have read on several posts it is the convergence IC's to blame.  I ordered a new convergence board from www.partstore.com and am planning on doing the repair myself. 

Does anyone here have an electronic copy of the service manual?  Or perhaps a paper copy that they would be willing to lend me for a short time?  I am selling the TV this week, but I want to fix it first.

Thanks so much!

crrider833
So i just want to make sure

So i just want to make sure im clear, i noticed today that my tv has a blueish colored bow haze at the top and bottom of the screen from side to side, so from what i understand i need the convergance amp thats about 100bucks from samsung parts. Thanks

digial
anybody got a e-copy of the

anybody got a e-copy of the service manual for this beast they can send me?

hypr62
mikeymilf,

mikeymilf,
i don't believe your covergence board will fix your vertical wavy lines.
i replaced my convergence board cause it was out of focus, and still have those lines, was told my pro scan module was bad, seems like oe has to be rebuilt.
part # BP95-00140T....good luck......

Connect With Techlore