testing home speaker power

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
chasalter
testing home speaker power

I have ceiling mounted stereo speakers in most rooms throughout my house.  One side in my dining room is not working.  I swapped speakers and the speakers are both good.  Therefore, I'm not getting power apparently to one side.  I've gone to my wall mounted volume control (separate in each room) and desired to test to see if I'm getting power, but I'm not showing any voltage even to the side that is working!??? , much less to the side not working.  What am I doing wrong?  How much voltage should I be detecting or am I going about this all wrong?  (I can trace the wiring from the volume control to the speaker.)

Larry Dillon
On a speaker volume control,

On a speaker volume control, or even a speaker, there should only be an AC type of voltage.  If you see any DC, you have major problems my freind.  That is why, when the pro's test a system, they send a steady test tone, like what is outputed through a home surround sound system.  That way a steady AC voltage is easy to read, as with the sound or music comming through the system, it jumps all over the place.  Let us know how you make out, and if you need any more assistance.  Good Luck

Connect With Techlore