akai 54" pth5498 projection television picture is shrinking.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
johnny1
akai 54" pth5498 projection television picture is shrinking.

hey larry had a repair man check it out he said i did not have a power problem.he said i had a convergance board going bad.does this sound right?thanks johnny1.

Larry Dillon
It is a possiblity that the

It is a possiblity that the problem with your set could be a bad convergence board is shorting out the power supply.

johnny1
hey larry are the convergence

hey larry are the convergence boards expensive for this tv?and how hard of a job is it to replace?thanks for the help.johnny1.

Larry Dillon
You dont usually replace the

You dont usually replace the board, you replace the two STK convergence IC's.  They are hard to change if you have no solid state or TV repair experience.  Also you could, without meaning too, short something out and causeing bigger problems.  If you have no TV repair experience, please play it safe and call in a pro to assist you in this repair.  I  would not know where to start without first looking at the set's service manual.

theDEFIANTone
Larry and Jonny,

Larry and Jonny,

I apologize I'm sending this to you here as well (I've begun a new thread as well), but I am having a  similar problem with a Pioneer TV.  Was curious if you feel this may be the same problem? 

I have a circa 1994/1995 Pioneer Rear Projection, SD-P5575 television.  Recently, the PICTURE has become suceptible to loud sound or bumps to the TV.  When either of these events happen (usually it's the bass from a movie/TV show I'm watching), the sides of the screen begin to collapse in, there is an audible buzzing noise (while the screen is collapsing), and then the screen jumps back to normal.  The problem is INTERMITTENT, ie: sometimes the same part of the movie (or similar loud sounds) don't effect the screen.  I'm suspecting a bad solder joint (or bad board) somewhere, but have NO CLUE where to begin looking.  Strangely enough, I've never replaced ANY of the bulbs since I bought the TV (new).  I don't suppose I could get fortunate enough that it could be one of the bulbs going out?  Also, regardless of that answer, what should I be looking for to know if the bulbs (or a bulb) need to be replaced?? 

Please feel free to post here as I would like to have this information available to others, however, if you'd like, feel free to CC a copy to my email address as well.

[email protected]

I thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
Regards,
Michael Compton

Larry Dillon
the DEFIANTone, I'm very

the DEFIANTone, I'm very falmilare with that Pioneer set.  Great TV!  I love the model with the rosewood finish..  Just so you know, there is no bulb inside this tV set.  There are three picture tubes.  I have also seen your problem bud.  If you have had no solid state repair experience, I recommend that you call in an experienced tech to assist you with this problem.  your problem is in the horizontal sweep circuit.  its a cold solder connection on a componet, most likly a resistor or a stand up coil.  The longer you wait, the more it will cost you, as it will burn the board, and or a componet.  right now its just a simple solder connection.  should not cost you much to have repaired by a trained tech.  Good Luck, and please keep us informed of the progress of this repair.

Larry Dillon
 DEFIANTone, I'm very

DEFIANTone, I'm very falmilare with that Pioneer set.  Great TV!  I love the model with the rosewood finish..  Just so you know, there is no bulb inside this tV set.  There are three picture tubes.  I have also seen your problem bud.  If you have had no solid state repair experience, I recommend that you call in an experienced tech to assist you with this problem.  your problem is in the horizontal sweep circuit.  its a cold solder connection on a componet, most likly a resistor or a stand up coil.  The longer you wait, the more it will cost you, as it will burn the board, and or a componet.  right now its just a simple solder connection.  should not cost you much to have repaired by a trained tech.  Good Luck, and please keep us informed of the progress of this repair.

theDEFIANTone
Larry,

Larry,

Thanks for the POST.   Based on that, would it seem logical that I would need to take the unit in or is this something they might service at the unit? 

With regards to the tubes...do I ever need to replace them?

Also, I added to my problem in my thread but neglected to put the issue in here with you...what do you think of this problem that seems to accompany my other isssue?

...and this one really confuses me...I typically watch movies via my DVR though Input 1 where I experience the problem as listed the above. Input 2 and 3 seem to react similarly as well...HOWEVER, and this is the part I don't get at all...when I view through the coax input (the cable from the wall), I typically don't get any picture AT ALL (anymore)...it's a black screen, but, occasionally, the picture/signal will come in, but almost like it's a bad signal (kind of scratchy picture), but I know it's not the signal as I can jump back to my DVR via Input 1 and watch the cable through it and it's fine.  So, via the coax input, the picture is primarily a black screen with no sound, then it cuts in and out back to the black screen (no sound, similar to it not getting a signal).  It had been (a few months ago) that if you left it on the coax input for awhile, it would eventually come in and get a little better and better the longer you'd leave it on that input...however, now, it takes FOREVER (easily an hour) before you get it to pull any picture/signal, and even then it cuts out more frequently if it even stays up at all.  But, you can jump back to one of the other inputs and the picture is perfect (except for the intermittent problem of the screen shrinking in on itself from the loud noises (occasionally)).

Why do I think it may just be time to get rid of this TV as the repair will be more than it's worth or could be replaced for!??!  ;-(

I too love the TV and would hate to see it go...

Michael

Larry Dillon
i answered that on your

i answered that on your thread.  And if you need to replace a picture tube, at this stage I would reconmend to get a new TV.  The cost, if they are still available would cost you more then a new set, unless you have the equipment and the proper tools to do that.

johnny1
thanks larry for the

thanks larry for the information.johnny1

Connect With Techlore