Issue with Sony 46" Wide Screen - KP46WT500

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anant
Issue with Sony 46" Wide Screen - KP46WT500

Hello,

I have read several postings here regarding issue similiar to mine.

The picture shows images in 3 shades, and it stretchs out on top left and bottom right of the screen.  I believe it is a convergence issue based on what I read on this forum.

I grew up with Sony products and never took a extended warranty and now when I called in technician. They are quoting 500+ dollars and one guy from qualserv(rated platinum for service by sony) said my picture tubes need to replaced and all 4 of them. It costs about $944. For that money, I can get a brand new TV.

After reading the postings here, I am thinking of attempting to fix it myself though I dont have a clue when I open the TV.

Could you please let me know what problem could be based on the description above and is it wise to fix it myself ofcourse I would need your help and guidance.

If it doesnt work, I can buy a new one but atleast want to understand and learn instead of depending on these high priced technicians. I am not interested in replacing parts which arent bad and pay hundreds of dollars.

May be I am sounding very cynical but at this moment Im really pissed that quality of products has gone done so much and its gamble with money.

Please advise.

Larry Dillon
First off there are not 4

First off there are not 4 picture tubes inside this set.  Theres only a red , green, and a blue tube.  You need to get another estimate, as the convergence ICs are whats bad in this set.    Call around and see if you can get someone to do it in the house.. you should be able to , but some places don't like to do the repairs in the home, as they are embarressed by what they charge and what was done.  Good Luck and please let us know how you made out with this repair.

DBD3
Hello,

Hello,

I too am experiencing a similar problem with my KP46WT500.  On the far left and right sides of the screen there is a red "ghost" that is significantly separated from the underlying image.  As you follow the image to the center of the screen the "ghost" comes much closer to lying directly over the main image.  I've searched and reviewed several technical forums and from my laymans standpoint everything seems to indicate that the convergence IC's need replaced.

Based on what I've read I'm pretty sure I can do this repair myself.  I'm no electronics tech by any stretch, but I've done some hobby projects that required some surface mount soldering so I figure I can handle that part.  I do have a couple of other questions though:

1. Based on my description, is it the convergence IC's that need replaced?

2.If it is the convergence IC's, where can I get OEM (or higher quality) replacements?  I've seen several articles/threads that allude to only lower quality, or as the describe them "counterfeit" IC's being available.  Is this something I really need to be concerned about?

3. As I mentioned, I'm not an electronics tech.  However, I am very familiar with proper soldering technique.  I've never had any problems with any of the surface mount work that I've done, but I've never worried too much about heat sinking while I was soldering.  Is this a potential issue with the convergence IC's?  Should I be heat sinking to prevent potential damage?  On the same note, what would be the most appropriate solder to use for this work?  Can I use a 60/40 or should I use 63/37?  Rosin, no rosin.  Again, not a tech, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

4. From what I've gathered, this is what I need to do this replacement:

• The convergence IC's (STK 392-560)
  • Possibly a picofuse on the "G" board
  • The service manual for the kp46wt500
  • A pattern generator DVD for realignment (any suggestions on which one to get would be greatly appreciated.)

Additionally, in a post back in June 2006, one of the moderators mentioned that eventually all rear projection TV's need their convergence IC's replaced.  My set is only three years old.  Is this going to be an every couple of years occurance?  Is there anything that can be done to extend the life of the IC's?

Any additional information or feedback from anyone who's completed this replacement themselves regarding problems or issues that arose would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry Dillon
DBD3, I'm glad you do not

DBD3, I'm glad you do not mind reading about what needs to be done.  Ok YES, you should get the service manual before getting involved in this repair, and of course , understand how to use and understand this service manual.  The Manual is available HERE for a small fee, but it is alot less then what the manufacturer gets for it.  Also another thing to remember, is please do not try to get away cheap by ordering any after market parts, and yes I know alot who do, but if a set is designed to use a part, only that part with those specs should be replaced in the TV set.  This is sooo true when dealing with a Sony TV set.  Do yourself a favor , and order the exact replacement part from the service manual, once you get it from HERE  Also do not forget to get some new heat transfer compound great, and make sure there is plenty on the back of the new IC's before screwing them down on the heat sink.  On most sets, yes these componets fail, as I have found out in the past, the manufacturers do not completely cover the heat transfer point on the IC's.   I have seen some IC's that have only the top part or maybe a little tiny bit of grease on the back of the IC.  This is a very importaint point.  Also, be prepaired for the set not to work right away, due to blown pico fuses on the g board, and some models of Sonys also have pico fuses on the convergence driver boards as well.  Well good Luck with this, and you know the risk, it sounds like, so please let us know how this turns out.

maguilar
Hello,

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my Sony KP46WT500.  The left side of the screen is blurry.  It gets worse when we are watching something in HDTV.  Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks!

Larry Dillon
What do you mean by blurry? 

What do you mean by blurry?  describe whats blurry. How is it blurry.  Does the set look ok in the 4:3 mode?

maguilar
You can see shadows of

You can see shadows of everything, people, words, etc.  If the TV is on guide, the name of the program is blurred.  It gets extremely worse when we switch to HD.  The set does not look okay in 4:3 mode, it’s burry no matter what format it’s in.

DBD3
Hi Everyone,

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I replaced the convergence IC's in my set and everything works great.  I spent a long time checking all the pico fuses (on all the boards) as well as the little resistors around the convergence IC's.  Once I verified they were all ok, I ordered the IC's from the link Larry provided and installed them when they arrived.  Like I said, everything works great.

I do have a question though.  I read previously that another member completed the set adjustments by buying a CD/DVD of alignment patterns and hooking the player up to the TV to perform the alignments.  I attempted a similar process by downloading a pattern generating program, and projecting it from my laptop by way of the "S-video" output.  When I do this, isn't the pattern I'm generating being projected by the same color gun I'm trying to align?  What differs when you use an external crosshatch generator?  And, where do you hook up the external generator.  Like I said, the picture looks fine, but when I run some of the internal tests via the remote commander, several fail.  That's why I'd like to complete the alignments properly.

Anyway.  Thanks again for all your help completing this repair.  I couldn't have done it without you.

Larry Dillon
Another sucess story!  Glad

Another sucess story!  Glad to hear everything worked out ok for you.  As long as it is a cross hatch pattern or somthing you can see the horizontal and vertical edges, it really does not matter what you use as a source.

jlpmcc
I am having similar problems

I am having similar problems to what I'm reading here and have decided to attempt the fix myself.  I have a KP46WT500 ,the blue gun is way off and doesn't respond to adjustments.  Two questions 1) Should I go with the STK392-180 or stick with the -150 that's in there now?  2)If these have such a high failure rate due to high operating temps would it be worthwhile to enhance the cooling process with a fan?  Thanks for your help!

Larry Dillon
No stick to the original

No stick to the original numbers that are on the IC's,  and yes, a fan on the heatsink would inprove the life of the IC.  Good Luck

jlpmcc
Thanks! I'll keep you posted

Thanks! I'll keep you posted on the outcome... (might be a while)

Roe
Hello,I have a KP46WT500 with

Hello,I have a KP46WT500 with a problem with convergence.I've read through almost every post on problems of this nature and desided to try and fix myself.I have a service manual for this set and have read it and I think I have a basic understanding for the repair.I ordered the convergence IC's STK392-560.And when they arrived the company shipped STK392-570.I called them to question the mistake and they told me the part was an upgrade.It looks exactly the same.Should I be concerned about using this part?A Pro's advice would be much appreciated.Thank You.   

Larry Dillon
No do not be concerned, it is

No do not be concerned, it is an upgrade.  You those that the company sent you but do not forget the heat sink compound on the backs of the new IC's before you install them..  Good Luck and let us know how you make out with this repair.

Charlie Chan
Larry, is there a way I can

Larry, is there a way I can post a couple of pics of my screen, I am like the dog chasing its tail, replaced the IC's, picos, checked and re-checked the board for bridges and faulty resistors. If I could post pics maybe you can tell me if I am in left field on the D board.

Larry Dillon
Pictures might help but I do

Pictures might help but I do not really see how as I cannot check anything for you. I might be wish to take out the board clean it up and send it in to be reworked?

Charlie Chan
Well larry, the problem is

Well larry, the problem is revealed, I ordered the chips and never looked at them, just installed them. They sent me STK392-150's

liftedhdrado
i have a sony kp 46wt500 and

i have a sony kp 46wt500 and my image is in 3-d? what might be causing this? i've also tried playing a dvd and same problem. any help would be appreciated.

Larry Dillon
The best advice I can tell

The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the blinking light kit for your model of set, click here please:
http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry the kit comes with the high temperature/ high frequency/long life 105 Celsius type capacitors (not those cheap Radio Shack caps) full easy to follow pictorial directions, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem, all kits are shipped out within 24 hours in most cases, 2 to 3 day Priority mail. GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon,

liftedhdrado
Larry,

Larry,
Thanks for the quick response. I will go ahead and order the kit and see how it turns out. Hopefully it fixes this annoying problem. The tv was working great up until we had a few showers tv started acting funny after the rains. Now, the image shows like 2-3 of everything like over laying each other and not clear.

Anyways, thanks again.

Larry Dillon said:

The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the blinking light kit for your model of set, click here please:
http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry the kit comes with the high temperature/ high frequency/long life 105 Celsius type capacitors (not those cheap Radio Shack caps) full easy to follow pictorial directions, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem, all kits are shipped out within 24 hours in most cases, 2 to 3 day Priority mail. GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon,

Larry Dillon
liftedhdrado,you are very

liftedhdrado,you are very welcome and don't forget that if you run int an issue we are still with you after the sale!!
Larry D.

GLEUDE21
I have a sony kp 57ws510

I have a sony kp 57ws510 replaced convergence kit and now i get 6 blinks...what think guys bad capacitor...thanks

Connect With Techlore