HELP! CRT replacement problem

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Big Rich
HELP! CRT replacement problem

I replaced a monitor CRT today that had a new yoke on it already. I installed it and when it powered up the screen is upside down and in reverse. The picture on the screen is too tall for adjustment and too narrow. It almost seems like the magnetic field is in reverse or something? any ideas?

Larry Dillon
If there are only 4 wires on

If there are only 4 wires on the deflection yolk plug, simply reverse the two vertical winding wires.  If the picture then looks right side up, reverse the horizontal yolk windings.  And of course do this with the set unplugged.  The vertical wires are normally green and yellow and the horizontal is normally red and blue, BUT if your not sure, reversing the wrong wires to the wrong sweep circuit will for sure blow up your set.  If your not sure Please consult a servicer to assist you in this matter.  Good Luck, and let us know how you made out.

MOtvGuy
Regardless of whether the

Regardless of whether the deflection is upside down and backwards horizontally it sure sounds like you've installed the wrong tube in this set via your description of the narrow pix horizontally and stretched out pix vertically.

this wouldn't be a 20" Magnavox set would it?  Whatever the brand, it sounds like you've got the wrong tube with yoke on it. 

Big Rich
Larry Dillon said: If there

Larry Dillon said: If there are only 4 wires on the deflection yolk plug, simply reverse the two vertical winding wires.  If the picture then looks right side up, reverse the horizontal yolk windings.  And of course do this with the set unplugged.  The vertical wires are normally green and yellow and the horizontal is normally red and blue, BUT if your not sure, reversing the wrong wires to the wrong sweep circuit will for sure blow up your set.  If your not sure Please consult a servicer to assist you in this matter.  Good Luck, and let us know how you made out.

The four wires are red blue yellow and brown....and this is a monitor not a tv. thanks, sorry for not giving more info.

Larry Dillon
Switch the yellow and the

Switch the yellow and the brown wires first.  Then make sure the picture does not look like your looking into a mirror.  If it does switch around the red and the blue, and since its a MONITOR, you can adjust the width on the front panel controls as well as the height. If you cannot adjust from the front, there should be a vertical height and a width ajustment inside the set.  If that doesnt, MotvGuy could be correct in sayiny you have the wrong tube.  I have seen on some sets, that have had bonded yolks on the tubes, the factory messed up and the yolk was reversed, more then once too!

Big Rich
Larry Dillon said: Switch the

Larry Dillon said: Switch the yellow and the brown wires first.  Then make sure the picture does not look like your looking into a mirror.  If it does switch around the red and the blue, and since its a MONITOR, you can adjust the width on the front panel controls as well as the height. If you cannot adjust from the front, there should be a vertical height and a width ajustment inside the set.  If that doesnt, MotvGuy could be correct in sayiny you have the wrong tube.  I have seen on some sets, that have had bonded yolks on the tubes, the factory messed up and the yolk was reversed, more then once too!

Ok i will try it when i get home. I hope it dosent blow up on me due to iminant death by wife afterwards. I will let you know what happens.

Larry Dillon
If you follow as I said it

If you follow as I said it wont blow up on you. If you switch one of the brown and the yellow to one of the red and the blue wires, well you will see fireworks! ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK before plugging in the monitor.

Big Rich
Larry Dillon said: If you

Larry Dillon said: If you follow as I said it wont blow up on you. If you switch one of the brown and the yellow to one of the red and the blue wires, well you will see fireworks! ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK before plugging in the monitor.

Larry I switched the brown and yellow at lunch, and no smoke. The picture is right side up and going in the correct direction now. Now the only propblem that is left is the image is still going way out the top and bottom of the screen and the horizontal is about 2 inches from either side of the screen and using the adjusting pots dosent get it even close from one end or the other. Ideas?

Silva
it seems like you have a

it seems like you have a wrong yoke for that chassis or the size of the tube is too big for that chassis or there.s a pin cushion on that chassis, and the yoke is not  compatible with it. My self i tried to hook up a chassis of a ctc177af with pin cushin est west  to a 27'' RCA  ctc203ad5 and and came up with a nerrow small square pic and twisted and could not adjust in full, so i used a other 177 chassis without  the pin cushun circuit and all i had to do was to adjust the height in the service menu and it works fine.

MOtvGuy
You haven't answered the

You haven't answered the question yet as to whether this is the correct CRT for the brand and model of set you have.  You can't just take any old CRT and stick it in a set, even if it fits and expect it to work correctly.

What's the brand of set, model number, tube type that was in the set and the tube type you're putting in?  

Larry Dillon
Big Rich, I will have to

Big Rich, I will have to agree with MotvGUY and Silva If you used a replacement tube, and not one designed for this circuit, this will be the Problem.  If you purchased this tube/yolk assembly on the terms that it would work, return it for the proper tube.  If it is the same tube number, then the yolk is iscorrect and see if they will come off, but let me warn you , if you do not know how to adjust convergence and do not have the proper equipment to do so, Return the tube assembly for the proper one.

tree
hello:new member/quick

hello:new member/quick question.my sony kv-32fv1 set just turned itself off.thought i lost power,went to turn it back on and got a frying noise and no picture.and then smelt some electrical burning.i know thats not good.ive been wanting to upgrade to hdtv and purchase a new set/but i was wondering does this sound like an expensive problem to fix?ive gotten over 8 years of heavy use out of this screen.is it time to trash it?or is it worth my time to save it?thanks,an imput i would appreciate.robert.

Larry Dillon
kelpbeds, your problem is a

kelpbeds, your problem is a burning flyback transformer or another componet inside the set.  I have seen these sets in the past and in their day, they were great sets.  The set is 8 years old and without looking at the set, its really impossable to say, but in my professional opinion, why put good money after bad, im guessing it will run a minimum cost of about 4 to 4.00 bucks and could go as high as 5 to 6 hundred.  Go out and get your self an early holiday gift.  Good Luck, and please let us all know what you decided.

tree
Larry Dillon said: kelpbeds,

Larry Dillon said: kelpbeds, your problem is a burning flyback transformer or another componet inside the set.  I have seen these sets in the past and in their day, they were great sets.  The set is 8 years old and without looking at the set, its really impossable to say, but in my professional opinion, why put good money after bad, im guessing it will run a minimum cost of about 4 to 4.00 bucks and could go as high as 5 to 6 hundred.  Go out and get your self an early holiday gift.  Good Luck, and please let us all know what you decided.

thanks for the quick reply.my wife thinks i sabotaged the set to get a new one!i would love to purchase another sony screen.ive come to really like there tone and black levels.is there anything you could recommend in l.c.d. or plasma/around 42" or higher?thanks again,love this forum!

Larry Dillon
I would duggest reading up

I would duggest reading up alittle on the subject.  I would love to get eather type of set but I tend to lean towards DLP. We have lots of articles here about the differances and the differant types.  http://www.techlore.com/article/10884/Understanding-the-Different-Types-of-TVs/  and  http://www.techlore.com/article/10802/CRT-Rear-Projection/   and  http://www.techlore.com/article/10295/Should-I-purchase-a--Full-Screen--or--Widescreen--DVD-/   and  http://www.techlore.com/article/10021/What-do-I-need-to-watch-HDTV-/  this should give you some ideas.

tree
thanks again.this information

thanks again.this information you posted is a big help.ill take a few weeks to narrow it down then ill make a informative purchase.in the mean time:what to do with my 200 lb monster?any suggestions.is there a right way to recycle or do i drop it of a ten story building and envite friends?

Silva
I would get the 46"LCD Sony

I would get the 46"LCD Sony Bravia if it was me, i still keep my Sony HD36 hs500 tube for a litle longer till they get  a litle cheaper.

tree
Silva said: I would get the

Silva said: I would get the 46"LCD Sony Bravia if it was me, i still keep my Sony HD36 hs500 tube for a litle longer till they get  a litle cheaper.

i too have been eyeing the bravia line/i work for costco,and can probable get a 42"for around $1,000.00. ill allways have the option to return it if something were to go wrong with it.thanks for the reply.

Larry Dillon
LCD TVs have been tested by

LCD TVs have been tested by TI and TI found out that after about 4000 hours of use, the images start to fade. 

Connect With Techlore