Sony Trinitron 32" picture tube gone?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lill
Sony Trinitron 32" picture tube gone?

Dear Larry

Is it time to throw away my Sony?  Here's what's happening to my tv.

When I turn it on...I immediately get stereo sound, but it takes up to 5 minutes or more before the picture comes in. When the picture comes in it's absolutely beautiful in color and quality: however; the picture last only about 1 minute then disappears to a totally black screen, and then the vicious circle continues with a wait then the beautiful picture, and then disappears to black again. All the while constant and continous stereo sound. Oh! Yes! I forgot, when I turn the tv on, there is this red light blinking continously and it never did that when Cox Cable was analog, this problem started after I upgrade to their digital signal. The tv has been sitting collecting dust for over a year. I wouldn't even have bothered you with any possible solutions to this, because I've been watching an old portable color non-stereo tv for quite awhile, but I recently won a Sony DVD Player and my portable tv has only one connection in back of it, and the instruction booklet says I can't hook up the DVD player through my VCR...I'm screwed! I think.

Can you tell me if the problem with my tv set sounds major? Is it possible to buy some kind of extension connections so that I can use my DVD player with the portable set? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Larry Dillon
It sounds like the picture

It sounds like the picture tube or the AKB circuit is at fault.  This set may or may not be worth the repair.  Depending on how old it is and how much you like it.  This is not a problem for the consumer can repair unless you have some know how about TV repair.  There are no user replaceable parts inside this set.    Maybe reading this will help you out.  Now you can use  the DVD player on your older tV set.  All you need to do is go out and purchase an RF Modulator from Radio Shack or an electronics store.  I think Wal-Mart even carrys them in the Game or DVD department.  Simply follow directions that come with it, or if you have any trouble, simply ask away here.  Good Luck, and please keep us informed on how you made out with these problems.

Lill
Hi Larry..thank you for

Hi Larry..thank you for responding to my questions. I got the Trinitron over ten years ago, so it is very old but it was well maintained, and I do love it although I left it to collect dust when this problem first started because I am not a tech person at all when it comes to circuits and boards, amps and ohms.  I think I will save the money for repairs and apply it to buying a set that's more updated maybe like a LCD or Plasma...something that will catch up with the current technology.Wink I will head on out to Radio Shack or Wal Mart and get the RF Modulator for the older set. I just have to use my new toy (DVD Player)..you know how that is!!! I don't really watch that much tv anyway...I'm always on my PC.  I'm better with my PC repairs, even added more memory about a month ago....following my PC manual on how to do it. Unfortunately, the inside of a computer is alot different than a tv set!

I will report back to you as soon as I get the modulator and hook it up, and let you know if I got it going or ask questions if I get hung up. Thank you very much for your time and assistance.Smile

Lill
Hey Larry...you sweetie!

Hey Larry...you sweetie!

I'm up and running! I've got Radio Shack's auto-sensing 4-way A/V Selector Switch with RF Modulator.

The connections sheet included was easy to follow so, now I have my VCR & DVD Player working fine and Cable Channels are fine & audio is fine....it was easy...almost too easy to do. 

I thank you very very much! Now I can watch all those DVD's that I went out and bought! Smile  

Again...Thanks for your prompt assistance and thanks Tech Lore for this forum.

Larry Dillon
Im so glad your up ad running

Im so glad your up ad running.  Its alway a good thing when someone thanks you as you sometimes go for several weeks without a feed back from someone you have assisted.. I hope you have a great holiday.

Connect With Techlore