Problems with Toshiba Plasma TV

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
armtek
Problems with Toshiba Plasma TV

Sorry if this accidentally got posted to the expert side. I have a Toshiba 42HP83 plasma TV. It now exhibits the following,
apparently common, problem where the screen starts up normally, starts
to pixelate until it goes virtually black with a red horizontal line,
and remains like this for a period of time (up to an hour recently) and
then comes on full and normal like nothing was wrong. Could not get
anyone to fix it properly (multiple boards were replaced with no
effect). Now I see that one possible solution is replacing the Y-Main
Module Assembly, part number 23301598, but I've yet to find any
conclusive evidence that this is the problem (or maybe just another
attempt at replacing boards to see what works. Anyone familiar with the
42HP family and is this really the solution to this phenomon?

Thankx,

Joe

Larry Dillon
That sounds like the constant

That sounds like the constant scan voltage that drives the screen matrix is bad.  Could be a simple plug connection or the capacitors in the power supply are bad or intermittant.  Look at the scematic and measure and monitor the voltage at the power source.  If it is low when the picture is bad, find out the defective parts and go from there.  If it is good , go dirctly up to the screen where the voltage is and read there.  If its good there check all of the plug connections.  As on most LCD and plasma sets these days, to service them properly, you should have a kit of modules as almost all of these sets are made by only a few main manufacturers.  An expensive propostion, but can be very very profitable in the long run.  Good luck and please report back and let us know what you found.

armtek
Larry, thanks for the input.

Larry, thanks for the input. Will take a look as soon as I can get to it. I was worried about the problem being the display and quite frankly so were the repair folks, so they gave up after replacing most of the signal-related boards (I don't think they even got to the power supply side of things). Certainly didn't measure any voltages, although they did try and resolder some of the board connections before replacing the entire board. The repair guy really didn't understand the unit at all. He was on the phone most of the time talking to someone and I had to provide him a board layout diagram so he could check the modules that the guy on the phone was talking about. Guess this is the case with any 'new' technology.

Larry Dillon
Yes it is and alot of

Yes it is and alot of servicers these days are learning as they go.  Its not a bad way to learn as TV repair is alot of theroy but mostly by experience.  Most these days fly by the cuffs to get a set repaired.  Keep us informed what ever you find out as we are here to help everyone if we can so what ever you find just might help out someone else.

Nahinu
Greetings,

Greetings,
I am concerned about picture fade and distortion with vertical lines
while viewing a movie on DVD external device. I have a 50 HP 16, 2006 Toshiba
Plasma TV @ 120V - 60 HZ 520 W. Any advice to repair this problem.

Thank You,

Nahinu

Connect With Techlore