Red Convergence on Sony KP-53V80 falling!

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blitz
Red Convergence on Sony KP-53V80 falling!

Hopefully someone can help me here since Sears doesn't seem to even want to talk about it without coming out here and charging me $100 just to look at it. But a couple days ago, my 55" Sony KP-53V80 tv starting dropping in the red. After 5-10 minutes of it warming up, the red would dip about an inch on the upper left and the lower right parts of the screen. The center of the tv stayed in focus perfectly. It looks like a 3D movie gone bad! Can anyone tell me if this is a costly part that needs to be done or is it a simple adjustment? I just bought a house so money is tight!!

I'll try to throw in a picture of what I'm talking about. . .

Bottom Corner

Upper Left

JerradsDad
Parts could run from $25-$100

Parts could run from $25-$100 depending if they are original parts or Chinese junk parts. You have a convergence correction circuit failure. IC1502 is bad, that controls the Red and 1/2 of the Green. You should have the other one replaced at the same time. Part # STK392-150, There also may be an open or changed value resistor, 2.2 Ohms that will need changing. It will be visible very near the defective IC.

Blitz
Dude, you rock. Thank you

Dude, you rock. Thank you much!!!!  :-)

Larry Dillon
Do not use junk replacement

Do not use junk replacement parts my friend! And DO NOT just replace one IC! r You eplace both at once or a few months down the road you will be doing the same thing .    Use only the ORIGINAL replacements as like I stated if you dont you will be sorry.  Also do not forget to use plenty of heat sink grease on the back of the IC's when replaceing them as if you do not, you will be doing the same thing in the next few months or maybe even weeks!  Also make sure the IC's are mounted tight up against the metal heat sink.  Good Luck and if you need any more assistance please dont hesitate to ask.  And please let us know how you made out as maybe your experieances will help another.

Blitz
Thank you Larry! You don't

Thank you Larry! You don't live near the Minneapolis area by any chance, do you? ;-) I'm nervous to do it on my own, so I may seek a professional installation depending on how much they want to screw me. I'd be more comfortable knowing if it acts up again in a few months, I can blame him and get it replaced again for free. ;-)

Thanks again guys!

Patrick

Larry Dillon
Patrick,  smart move!   Its a

Patrick,  smart move!   Its a good Idea that if you have no electronic or printed circuit board experience, to leave it to the pros.  After all would you want to try to disable a bomb one your own to see if you could do it?  I think not.  Good Luck and let us know how you made out. 

Stan
I do have same issue with my

I do have same issue with my Sony KP-53V80. I am trying to remove the board for reworking, but there are two red cables that I don't know how to unplug out from the board. Could someone can help me? Oh, I have an image about the location but I don't know how to post the image to this comment area.

Larry Dillon
Stan,Post them to techman32k

Stan,Post them to [email protected]

Stan
Hi Larry,

Hi Larry,

I have sent the images to [email protected] .

Thanks!

Stan

Larry Dillon
If I'm not mistaking, thoses

If I'm not mistaking, thoses plugs unplug or you twist them 90 degrees and pull them out at the High Voltage distribution block at the other ends of the wires.

Ross Johnson
I'm having the same problem

I'm having the same problem with a sony KP-51HW40. Where can I get  these? Also would you know the part #'s?

Thanks 

Stan
Last time, I posted how to

Last time, I posted how to unplug the high voltage cables from the board. And Larry said twist them 90 degrees and pull them out. It is right, but they are not my pointed position as the image. You need unplug them from the other ends. Thanks Larry.

My TV is fixed without problem and just replaced two IC. Part # STK392-150. I want to mention there are high voltage cables, so you have to be carefully. The image always uploads fail, or someone can help to upload  and post it here.

Larry Dillon
Great News Stan!  Glad to

Great News Stan!  Glad to hear we were able to help you, as this is what we are here for.  SPREAD the news to your  buds.  We also help with alot of other things as well.  Come again.

Ross Johnson
The IC's for the model tv I

The IC's for the model tv I posted. I'm having the same problem except I dont have the 3D look. I just have the the blue and red lines that show up. They are across the whole screen though. You can really see them on a dark screen.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Blitz
Alright Guys. . . took a

Alright Guys. . . took a while, but I'm back. I had the Sears repair guy out here today. For the Sony KP-53V80 problem, it was bad IC's. According to the slip, it says bad STKs. The cost to replace these were $182 for the IC/Pac and then $101.18 for a "57 528 874901437 2"   Grand total with labor, parts, tax . .  $398.53   And they do not stock these parts. I have to wait 10 days for my parts to arrive and be installed. Oiy. . .

Patrick

Larry Dillon
oh OK.  They are STK392-150 

oh OK.  They are STK392-150  Plus I hope you have a small multimeter and know how to use it, as there are small feedback resistors, 1.2 to 2.2 ohm resistors that go bad sometimes nwhen these parts go bad also.  Good Luck, and let us know how you made out.

Larry Dillon
Blitz, ask why the other part

Blitz, ask why the other part for 101.18 is not on the online data base for sears parts and what is it?

Ross Johnson
Larry

Larry

Thanks. I do have a multimeter and know how to use it. I will let you all know how things turn out.

Thanks 

Blitz
OK, I talked to someone at

OK, I talked to someone at the Home Repair about my slip. Since Sears no longer stocks the parts for this tv, they had to order from an outside company. There's 2 IC's, #57 528 874901437 Times 2, with each part running $101.18 and then charging $182 for labor to replace them with a 1 year guarantee.

I'm glad to see this thread is helping others now too. :-)

Patrick

Tyler B
Hey... i am just curious, the

Hey... i am just curious, the part STK392-150, do i get two of those for my tv? or is that just one of the ic's that i need? If it's only one of the ones i need, what is the part number for the other one? my tv is a 42 inch sony kp 43t75. also, i looked up the part number on google and it gave me a price of 6.99 on some sites. do you reccommend that i use that website?

Jimmy Rod
Unfortunately I'm having the

Unfortunately I'm having the same problem with my TV and itÂ’s actually the second time it happens. The first time was about 18 months ago, but back then I had Warranty on the TV and based on the receipt the cost was $44.00 for two CONVERGENCE CORRECTION CKT plus $150.00 for labor, but luckily I had warranty to cover this cost. Now the warranty on the TV as expired and I have to try to fix this issue on my own.

My questions is do I need to only replace the two CONVERGENCE CORRECTION CKT parts or is there anything else I need to replace?

Jimmy Rod
Unfortunately I'm having the

Unfortunately I'm having the same problem with my TV and itÂ’s actually the second time it happens. The first time was about 18 months ago, but back then I had Warranty on the TV and based on the receipt the cost was $44.00 for two CONVERGENCE CORRECTION CKT plus $150.00 for labor, but luckily I had warranty to cover this cost. Now the warranty on the TV as expired and I have to try to fix this issue on my own.

My questions is do I need to only replace the CONVERGENCE CORRECTION CKT parts or is there anything else I need to replace?

Larry Dillon
try to replace the

try to replace the convergence iC's first then if that does not work you will need to check the pico fuses around th IC's and the two pico's on the G board.

Jimmy Rod
The TV I have is actually a

The TV I have is actually a Sony KP-51WS510 with the convergence problem.  And I just bought the two STK392-560 Convergence IC.  But can you please send me a copy of the service manual at [email protected] or at [email protected].

Also before I change the IC’s are there any additional precautions I need to take before I attempt to change these parts?

Harold46227
Jimmy Rod said:

Jimmy Rod said:

The TV I have is actually a Sony KP-51WS510 with the convergence problem.  And I just bought the two STK392-560 Convergence IC.  But can you please send me a copy of the service manual at [email protected] or at [email protected].  Also before I change the IC’s are there any additional precautions I need to take before I attempt to change these parts?

Jimmy,

I know you dont know me but, did ya get a copy of the sevice man.?  If so could you send me a copy I am working on a KP-51WS510 with the same prob.  and I have replaced the stk's and the picos but it ble the one on the G board, so...

I really appreciate it,

thanks,

Richard ....   [email protected]

Er
Hi, there: I had similar

STK-1STK-2

Hi, there: I had similar problem with KP-53V80. The flash focus button seems working. The TV aligns fine for the cross-bar but then showed double pictures. In addition, some part (edge) of the screen is worse than other (center).

I opened the TV and took some pictures. There is no obvious blown parts. I plan to get this fixed by myself if this is the STK392 problem. Some guidance, please: 1) does this look like the STK problem ? 2) if the fuses look fine, do I still need to measure them to make sure ? 3) If there is some manual for this, I will also appreciate.

Melly
I have a Sony KP43T75. Had a

I have a Sony KP43T75. Had a TV Repair man come out and check it. Seems the Red Picture is out. Quoted $400 to repair. I think I can change out that part muself. I an\m a retired appl. repair lady, or mu husbanc is a A/C service tech. Just need to know part number? Got a place where I can find this out for free?

Larry Dillon
what do you mean the red

what do you mean the red picture is out? How is it out?

Melly
Larry Dillon said: what do

Larry Dillon said: what do you mean the red picture is out? How is it out?

I'm Sorry, he said the red picture TUBE was out.

Connect With Techlore