VERTICAL PROBLEM ON 27" ZENITH SET

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
appletonbill
VERTICAL PROBLEM ON 27" ZENITH SET

I just started having a problem with the vertical on a 27" Zenith. When I first turn it on, everything is fine. After a minute or two, the top and the bottom of the screen will flutter, then the picture will compress to about 5" wide across the middle of the screen. At the bottom of the 5" bar there is a very bright 1/2" line. If I tilt the whole set on it's base the full picture comes back, or if I tap it on the side it will come back, but then right away it revert's back to the 5" screen. The model # is SR2765S, manufactured in 1996. Anybody have any ideas? Loose connections? Cracked board or something?appletonbill

Larry Dillon
You have a poor solder

You have a poor solder connection on the Vertical output IC or one of its componets.  If your good with soldering, and had some solid state service experience, then it should not be a hard to find the bad connections.   At http://www.partstore.com they sell the entire module.  If you have no TV repair or solid state repair experience, it would be best for you to seek out a pro to assist you in this repair, as the high voltage will bite you!  Good Luck and please let us know if and how you got your set working again.

appletonbill
Thanks for the info, sorry it

Thanks for the info, sorry it took awhile to get back to you. I use the computer at the library and I don't get there every day. I've always been pretty careful with opening up the backs of T.V.'s, you can really get in trouble back there. I don't have a lot of good electrical tools, I have an analog multimeter, pencil type soldering iron, needle nose pliers and various screwdrivers. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again.appletonbill

Larry Dillon
Let us know if you found

Let us know if you found anything, need more assistance, or if you got it repaired.  Thanks.

appletonbill
I just got the chassis apart

I just got the chassis apart this morning, jeez they really make those a puzzle to get dissassembled. Then I had to get ready for work, 3:30p.m to 12:00a.m. or 2;00a.m. depending on overtime. Try to check it over Manyana.appletonbill

Larry Dillon
Yea its not an easy task..

Yea its not an easy task.. Please let us know if you found anything.

appletonbill
Well, I've got the whole

Well, I've got the whole thing back together again. I could not find out anything visually. What I did was spray the whole thing with a product for cleaning circuit boards, relays, contacts, etc. Then I applied dielectic grease to all the plugs, if thats what you call them. It still got a squashed picture, but after it gets warmed up it works good, after a couple of whacks on the side.Not to hard. I was not about to spend a lot of time or money on a 10 year old set. We have been saving up for a new one for awhile and will problably get a 27" or 32" flat screen. Has anyone heard anything about these t.v.'s named ilo. They sell them at Wal-Mart. appletonbill

Larry Dillon
Not a bad set, but please

Not a bad set, but please concider an extended warranty. Please read this article. There customer service is a little bit shody in my opinon..http://www.techlore.com/article/14812/

appletonbill
Thanks for the advice and

Thanks for the advice and link. I was just wondering about those ilo T.V.'S because the price sure is right. appletonbill

Larry Dillon
Yes but you must remeber

Yes but you must remeber about service my freind.  I have seen on a few other sites where peeps get one of these sets and they have a breakdown after a short time and the set is out of warranty and the company tells the peeps to ship them the unit and they will repair it for a starting price of 600 to 1200 bucks depending on the size.

oncable
Hey, I had the same problem

Hey, I had the same problem with my Zenith...just found the bad solder today and now have a stable picture...But...now the top 1" is black and about 3" of the top of the screen are flipped down on top of the picture showing a shadow effect of the top of the picture upsidedown.  Any ideas on that one.

Larry Dillon
There is a bad capacitor in

There is a bad capacitor in the vertical circuit or the IC is bad.

oncable
I did check most of the

I did check most of the capacitors and didn't find anything suspicious, but I sure don't know much about this stuff obviously! Would the IC happen to be the rectangular gray "part" approximately 3/8" x 3/4" that has "A J1 100" stamped on it? That is the part that I re-soldered to stablize the picture.

Larry Dillon
Yes that ia the vertical

Yes that ia the vertical output device(IC).  Also the best test for capacitors if you do not have an ESR meter is replacement.

appletonbill
Larry, I just read your post

Larry, I just read your post reply to buckeyezfan. Maybe I will look into a Toshiba or a Sanyo SDTV with the digital tuner. I don't like RCA'S. I bought a 19" about 12 years ago. It went about 3 years before it had a problem. Then about 7 years ago I bought a RCA 3 disk stereo. It did not even work for one year before the cd player quit working. It always displays NO DISK, even though I used a lens cleaner on it reguraly.appletonbill  

Connect With Techlore