Sony problem

164 posts / 0 new
Last post
Levick
Sony problem

My 15 year old Sony KV27EXR10 Trinitron TV keeps going from good color picture to black and white then audio crackles with  noise in picture and then it goes back to color picture again, and it does this cycle over and over and over every few seconds.  When it first happened two days ago, it took 5 minutes after I turned the set on for this problem to begin, but now it just does it right away and over and over and over. Doesn't matter if I use tuner in set or in VCR, play a tape, or what channel I pick. Any suggestions? 

Larry Dillon
  Is your VCR connected

Is your VCR connected through the video input, or through the antenna input?  If it is connected through the antenna input, It sounds like the tuner assy. is going bad in this set.  My sources say that part number 146538411 is no longer available.  But a company called PTS can rebuild your tuner for you.  You can contact them at http://www.ptscorp.com.  Now if you have no soldering or solid state experience, please do not attempt to do this yourself.  It is dangerous because of the high voltage inside of these sets.  Please seek the help of a trained tech.  Good Luck, and please let us know if you had the set fixed, what needed to be done and how you made out.

Levick
Thanks.  Does that mean that

Thanks.  Does that mean that if I switched my VCR connection from the antenna input to the video input, it might solve the problem? If no, then the question is whether this type of tuner rebuilding will cost as much as a new set, given that I'd never try to do this myself.  And of course, I'll let you know how things go no matter what I end up doing.  

Larry Dillon
If your tuner is bad simply

If your tuner is bad simply use the video inputs of the TV set and use the tuner in the VCR so then the tv will be used like a monitor.  Im using a Sanyo 27" TV that someone gave me 5 years ago with a bad tuner and I have the VCR hooked through the video input and my satillite dish hook to the video also.  An repair rate for that sony tuner $54.95 + shipping and handling.  I would just use the TV as a monitor. 

GAl
Hello, I have a for Mr. Dilon

Hello, I have a for Mr. Dilon, or anyone that may be able to help regarding a Sony TV with a similar problem.

I have a Sont model #KV-36FV15, about 6 years old now. Recently, within past 5 months, similar problem. The TV when first turned on will start to go black every 5 seconds or so, for about 10 minutes then at times stop and hold color. I have noticed that for some reason, after it holds, it will start to go black/out again if the picture has some while or very light colors on the screen, this will start the blinking again. It will tend to stop when back to a more darker color background. I was wondering if this is the same problem with the turner, or a bad sodering (sp) problem. IF you have any suggestions, please let me know. The warranty is long done. It worked well for 5 years, I've had other TV's this is the first to start loosing the picture at this time of usage, thanks for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Jim G. 

Larry Dillon
Jim, this sounds like the

Jim, this sounds like the problem Sony has with alot of their sets where the picture tube or the auto RBG circuit is defective, but you said when a light scene comes on the proble starts again.. Thats the typical symptom. it may be able to be fixed but unless you have a CRT rejuvinator, I doubt is this is an expensive peice of equipment. Call around and see what the techs will charge you to clean the CRT not rejuvinate it. Now if that does not help, the picture tube will need to be replace, but im sure you wont want to replace a Picture tube with a cost of 200 bucks +. Good Luck and please let us know if you got it fixed or what you did?

GAl
Hi Mr. Dillon,

Hi Mr. Dillon,

Well, I tried something from teh manuel on-line, since I misplaced mine, it's here somewhere. So in the manuel it said if picture problem or sound, first try to hold reset button on remore, and turn off TV on front of TV, it will then come back on. OK, did this and yes, it set the TV back to original colors etc, that the factory had set. The strange part now, was it said on the front of screen cable/antenna nto connected. Hmmm, I thought ok I have a spliter on the back since I run one to the AUX and one to the input for antenna, then a output to another TV next to it. I kept trying to ge this cable/antenna notice off the screen, I finally did by going to exit menu. Well, so far, and I know this is strange, the color is back to the way it was 6 months ago, and so far the screen isn't going black when I turn it on, or when the lighter colors come on. So not sure what this did, keeping my fingers crossed, but so you haev any idea waht I may have done by reseting to factor settings. Perhaps I had changed something in the past by trying to adjust colors, not sure, but ok so far will shall see. Any ideas, please let me know, since I have no idea why this would make the TV pic now hold....thanks,

Jim 

Larry Dillon
It most likly lowered the

It most likly lowered the luminunce and contrast levels below the overload point.  If you raise up the brightness or contrast, most likly the problem will come back, but who knows with these beast's

GAl
Hi,

Hi,

Wow, that was quick. I think that may be what happened you would know, this is all new to me, ha. I know computers, but not TV's. I did notice once that antenna/cable notice went off the screen went from dull to brighter, but not too bright, just deeper more pleasing colors. Before the pic was kinda light and out of focus (lettering), so your assestment makes a lot of sense. I will not touch it for now at all..thanks again,

Jim

Levick
Larry - I promised to let you

Larry - I promised to let you know what happened.  I just hooked up the video and audio inputs to the VCR's video and audio inputs, so I'm using the set solely as a monitor.  You were right, the problem went away, and I saved myself some big bucks not to mention logistics/decisions. The only downside is that when I want to tape one show and watch another, I have to watch on a second, smaller, set that I have in another room.  But with luck, I can keep postponing any investment in TV equipment until I'm forced to go digital in 2009.  Thanks!

Larry Dillon
Glad to hear we were able to

Glad to hear we were able to assist you . Keep on comming back to Techlore.com and dont forget to recomend us to all your freinds too!  good luck and hope to hear from you again SOON!..

Zia
Dear Larry Dillon, I

Dear Larry Dillon, I purchased 3 years ago a Sony big screen projection TV model KP-57WS510. A week ago suddenly its picture became blurred. All images on screen are giving 3 color shades. Even if black and white movie is running, the 3 color shades are there and even if the color is set to "0", the 3 color shades are there. Further the central part of display is stretched that is why the lines are not straight and look like first day of moon. I welcom your expert opinion. Please let me know which part/parts are to be removed and their locality. Thanks.

Zia

Larry Dillon
ZIA,  Your problem is the two

ZIA,  Your problem is the two convergence IC's in the convergence circuit are bad most likly.  They are black, stand up on a large metal heat sink and has white lettering on them.  The letters and numbers on the two IC's is STK-392-560.  Do not replace with any other replacement parts.  And also make sure you use plenty of heat sink grease on the backs of them before you screw them back onto the heat sinks.  These oarts are soldered in so your going to have to have a soldering iron to unsolder and resolder in on a printed circuit board after they are replaced.  If you have had no sort of electronic repair experience, please seek out a pro to assist you as you can not only cause alot more problems in the set, it is dangerous to be experimenting inside these sets.  If you can replace the IC's yourself, buy only the original replacements, as the cheap knock offs or OEM parts will not last long.  you can find these parts at http://www.partstore.com.  Good Luck and please get back with us and let us know how you made out with this repair.

Zia
Larry Dillon, Thank you so

Larry Dillon, Thank you so much for giving me valuable informations. Rest assure, I have a vast experience of working on circuit boards and I will do it myself. I have all types of tools handy. But I take this opportunity to ask you how it happened? I want to know the cause of this defect to avoid any future mishappening. I will let you know that I have 2 VCRs + 1 DVD player attached to this TV and Comcast cable connection.

Zia

Levick
Just an observation.  I

Just an observation.  I posted my question on three boards at once on October 19th, but only this one, Techlore.com, ever produced a reply. One said that their expert didn't know the answer.  The third simply ignored me.  Way to go Techlore!   

Larry Dillon
Levick Thank you so much for

Levick Thank you so much for your commets!  We need loyal techlore peeps like you!

Larry Dillon
Zia, this problem occours on

Zia, this problem occours on almost every rear tube type projection set ever made. No reason, just goes out. Its probably only one iC is bad, but do you want to be back inside the set 3 to 6 months from now. its good to use only the right replacement, as inexpensive subs do not last long. keep us posted.

Mike Moore
  Mr. Dillon, I`m new to the

Mr. Dillon, I`m new to the forum and i have question about a Sony KP-61S65 rear video projector. When i turn it on it starts to blink. After a little bit it quits blinking and plays good and starts to blink again. What would cause this and how hard would it be to fix?

Levick
I just learned one more thing

I just learned one more thing about my problem.  My VCR has a setting for RF Converter On or RF Converter Off.  When I turn the RF Converter Off, my original problem goes away even if I feed the TV signal from the VCR using the Antenna input on the TV. So, it appears that the real problem wasn't in the TV tuner assembly but was in the RF Converter in the VCR.  And it's interesting that I don't need to have that on even when if I'm taking putting the signal through the tuner in the TV.  

slayer
I have a Sony Trinitron model

I have a Sony Trinitron model # kv-27fs13 that i got in 2002 and now when i turn it on half the pirture will show up and you can see red and blue lines going across it and it only stays on for about 30 seconds and then the stand bye button blinks five times and the tv turns off.Is this a major problem, should i just get a new tv?

slayer
I have a sony trinitron i got

I have a sony trinitron i got in 2002 model#kv-27fs13 and now when i turn it on there is some red and blue lines going through it and only half screen shows then the standbye light will blink five times and shut off.is this a major problem?

recordco
i have a 93  SONY 27" which a

i have a 93  SONY 27" which a neighbor gave me, it doesn't power up, is there a reset button somewhere on the circuit board? i can't imagine why i doesm't do anything.probably took a power hit, we had an electrical storm recently..............why i thought it SHOULD have a reset somewhere on the board??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

its a cool tv, stereo, and all i need until i go HD . ....another question for another day, but if anyone knows, can you add a hd tuner onto older sony products, or is it not recommended?
pirate69
Help, I cross conected my

Help, I cross conected my Sony XBR-25 and a home entertainment center to the same set of speakers.  I know this was dumb and I'm paying the price.  I now get no sound at all out of my Sony but I still get a picture.  This happened once before and the problem turned out to be a blown fuse.  I'm confortable working inside TV's so I took the cover off and started looking for the blown fuse.  I can't find the darn thing any where but it has to be there.  Does anyone know where the audio output fuse is located and how to find and get to it?  A diagram would be nice but a good description would probably be enough help.  The TV in question was manufactured in the early 1980 and still functions as an excellent monitor.  Can anyone help me with what should be a simple question.  If not, does anyone know a web site that has a manual for this T.V?

Larry Dillon
What is the complete model

What is the complete model number?  Including letters an numbers.  There are tons on XBR models and there all differant.

Zia
Larry Dillon, Regarding Sony

Larry Dillon, Regarding Sony big screen projection TV, Model KP-57WS510. As per your advice, I have replaced both ICs, STK 392-560, purchased from Partstore.com, but unfortunately there is absolutely no improvement. The defect remains the same. The picture is blurred. Every image giving 3 color shades and the screen is stretched from both central upper and lower edges. It is confirmed that the ICs STK 392-560 were not defective. The defect is anywhere else which you can better diagnose. Please advise asap. Thanks

Zia

Larry Dillon
Ok not to panic please. Its

Ok not to panic please. Its simply time to http://www.service manuals.net and enter your model number and then check on the power supply feeds going to these ICs. the power supply sometimes will go out as one or both of the ICs short, and takes out the power supply feeds. It could be as simple as the low value surge resistors around the IC's if you get the schematic, please send me a copy and I will be more then happy to assist you in the troubleshooting of this circuit.

pirate69
Larry Dillon said: What is

Larry Dillon said: What is the complete model number?  Including letters an numbers.  There are tons on XBR models and there all differant.

Thanks for responding Larry.  The model number on the back of the set is KV-25XBR and it serial number is 212772.  The F.C.C. code number is AK 896AKV-25XBR.  This is the only indentifing numbers I can find.  Does this help narrow it down?  Again, my problem appears to be a blown fuse somewhere in the sound output circuits.  The picture is still fine, just not sound and I can't find the fuse or circuit breaker.  Thanks again for your help!

Pirate69 (a.k.a. Mike Moore)

Zia
Larry Dillon, I don't know

Larry Dillon, I don't know how to get schematic. The website http://www.service is not being opened. Can you please do this for me and let me know what other part/parts are to be replaced? Thanks.
Zia

Larry Dillon
Zia  the manuals available

Zia  the manuals available here  If you get the manual and send me a copy I will be more then happy to assist you with thisa repair.  You are going to need a mutimeter and know how to check resistors. 

recordco
2 dumb questions (everyone

2 dumb questions (everyone always says there aren't dumbquestions, but i disagree)

1. what is the little fuse on the board next to the power cord, its function?how to check?
2. easy question: how do clean all the dust out safely
 this is a sony may 93 model 
KV-27TS29
thanks
Larry Dillon
Recordo, that little fuse

Recordo, that little fuse next to the power cord is the AC fuse for the line inout. Thats in case there is a short circuit. In the set and a resistor didnt burn up, thee fuse would blow so the set would not start on fire or the line cord did not melt or burn. Simply use a low folocity air hose or blower. I have seen peeps us a sucktion vacume cleaner hose but thats a bit too risky for me. Good Luck

Pages

Connect With Techlore