DVD players freezing.... what the heck???

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
village idiot
DVD players freezing.... what the heck???

What's the dang deal??????  I've just read through all of the posts regarding DVD players freezing, not reading the disc, giving error messages, etc.  I have 3 DVD players. Two are Toshiba vcr/dvd combos, and one is a Coby single disc player.  All were gifts, and each one started skipping almost withing the first month of use.

I just could not believe that I was so unlucky to get 3 bad players.

Now I see that many people have this problem.  I have used only store bought DVDs.  I read the post about too many features on the discs.  But, I have several discs that only have the 2 hour movie on them.  Cleaning doesn't help.  Unplugging the unit for days does not help.........that was Toshiba's response to my cry for help.

With all of the other posts, this seems to be a very prevalent problem.

I guess I'm not really asking for help to fix mine, although it would be a very wonderful thing to have a "quick - no cost" fix.  I cannot afford to get them fixed, and even if I could, I am home bound, and do not have anyone to take them for repair. 

Perhaps someone can tell me if I would be better off asking Santa for a more expensive player, OR  should I just go for the cheapest one out there, if I am going to continually have problems, and need to buy another one, and another one, and.....Frown

Thanks a lot.......... Village Idiot

Larry Dillon
Village,  It seems like

Village,  It seems like really bad luck that you have three players all  almost new and bad.  You stated that you cleaned them already??  Was that a lens cleaning disc or a disc cleaner?  You need a lens cleaning disc to try first.  If that does not help, then the tops are going to have to come off to clean the lens manually.  How this is done is, take out the screws that hold on the top of the unit.  Look in the middle of the drawer or tray that holds the disc.  There will be a small round disc.  Thats called the spindle or platter.  To the right of that is a small glass looking lens.  With a cotton swab dambened slightly with alcohol, lightly, in a swirling motion, wipe off the lens.  Now with the dry end, do the same, and let the unit sit for a few minutes to make sure it drys.  Now slid in a disc and see if that helped.  If it did not, then there are other problems with the unit, and these things do not pay to have repaired any more.  Its all throw away.  I remember the days a radio or TV set you could test the tubes at the drug store and fix about 90% of your problems yourself, and you had that set for years.  Oh well technology!  Good Luck and please let us know if you do get any of these puppys to work..

Connect With Techlore