How can i set up wireless connection in my home for my PSP?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
kanala
How can i set up wireless connection in my home for my PSP?

How can i set up wireless connection in my home for my PSP without using Wifi Max which requires the computer to be turned on. I don't know much about wireless networking and that stuff so I need some advice and ways to get my PSP connected to the internet to play games and go on the web browser.

Are there any cheap ways? Unlike setting up a whole wireless network in the home? Such as buying a Belkin Access point? What does the access point do?

I am using Wanadoo 1mb broadband and I have a Thompson Speedtouch 330 USB modem. If I wanted to set up a whole wireless network for my computers as well as my PSP would I have to buy a wireless router to connect to my USB modem or do I have to buy a wireless modem router (which is more expensive?

Kanala

darrenw89
hi mate, sorry to be the one

hi mate, sorry to be the one to break it to you; but you cant yet network a usb modem, in order to use your 1mb connection on your sony psp you would need a wireless modem / router, this would then broadcast your connection around your home, from then you may also need a wireless lan adaptor for your sony psp, you should be able to do all this for around £50-£60 and is very simple to do.

hope this helps;

darren Cool

www.daniweb.com

Yog-Sothoth
Here is one example of a USB

Here is one example of a USB router, though good luck finding one. It would be much easier to just get a new DSL modem/router combo with wireless capability.

kanala
thanks guys (im asuming you

thanks guys (im asuming you're guys)

strange, i clicked on the link yog-sothoth and it came up with comaptible USB modems. It has the Speedtouch 330 red, but why is the silver one crossed out? I have that silver one.Yell

and hey darren what is that wireless lan adapter? do i have to connect it to my psp? because that sucks, i thought it could work on wifi. Isn't there such thing as a wifi compatible wireless modem router? or am i just talking rubbish?

darrenw89
http://www.argos.co.uk/static

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5680308.htm

as they sell wlan adaptors for the sony psp im guessing their not able to connect to wlan without one, then yes that would go in your psp and that is wi-fi. as for a wireless compatible modem router, wifi is a another name for wlan (wireless LAN), so any wireless modem router will be able to work with the psp adaptor in theory, the only exception to this is the few newer standards, but as far as i am aware they are all backwards compatible. althougth the router yog-sothoth found is unique (the first i have seen and heard of!) its not wireless nor compatible with your modem we believe, the easiest thing for you to do would be to take a quick trip down to argos find a nice wireless modem router and the psp adaptor, set it up (not as hard as it sounds with all the wizards they provide now) then your all good to go surfing on your psp!

darren

www.daniweb.com

kanala
Yea, but I found that you can

Yea, but I found that you can get the same routers at about £15 cheaper in stores on the internet such as PC World which has special web deals. What is the different between 54g and 54 mbps? It seems that a 54g wireless laptop card is slightly more expensive than a 108mbps wireless laptop card at PC World. Which is better?

And also when I went to my uncle's house, he had a BT wireless modem router and I just connected straight to it using my PSP. Does that mean some routers support connection to the psp without an adaptor?

darrenw89
yes you could, somewhere like

yes you could, somewhere like ebuyer.com will proberly be even cheaper, i always use argos as an example though as most people know of one, 54g is a wireless standard such as 802.11g or 802.11b however most of the current products will not be compatible with the new 802.11n when it is released. 54mbs is the speed the card or router is capable of, however its pointless buying the latest 270mbs wireless router (yes they are out now!) when you only have a 11mbs wireless card, you will still be surfing at 11mbs as thats all the card can handle, as for the psp, i dont own one, however people that i know that do unfortunatly havent tried the wi-fi function yet, as i said argos and many other stores sell psp wireless adaptors, you may find you need to upgrade your psp's firmware to version 2.0 if you have any problems with the wlan, version 2.80 is out but not on sonys site yet, if anyone wants that either google it or use the psps update firmware function. as you were able to connection to your uncles wireless internet i assume your psp has wlan already installed, therefore you shoudnt need and adaptor, just a wireless modem router suitible for your connection type.

darren

www.daniweb.com

kanala
thanks i'll buy one when I

thanks i'll buy one when I have saved enough money.

darrenw89
glad i could help

glad i could help Cool

darren

www.daniweb.com

darrenw89
ah by the way, if your with

ah by the way, if your with AOL you may be able to talk them into giving you a free netgear wireless modem router, worked for me lol - that should work with your psp and their 54mb/s.

darren

www.daniweb.com

kanala
i looked on the aol website

i looked on the aol website but it is incredibly expensive i can't (well my dad can't) afford £25 a month. we're already getting ripped off by Wanadoo (now orange) who are charging us £19 a month and we are only getting 1.1mbps and a monthly allowance of 2gb. we are thinking of converting to Eclipse Internet which is £10 for the first 3 months and then £15 for the rest. it gives you unlimited allowance and 8mbps and i already have it in my other house and it is pretty reliable but not a popular internet provider. so i think i would be better off getting a seperate wireless modem router, i am thinking of getting the Belkin Wireless G Modem Router, can anyone recommend any good ones which work for the psp?

darrenw89
if you ring aol you can get a

if you ring aol you can get a netgear wireless router with broadband for £14 p/m (i have done it many a time these past few weeks lol) a belkin wireless modem router would be fine, so would netgear or linksys (part of cisco systems), try to stick with a known brand as they are much easier to setup and maintain.

darren

www.daniweb.com

Connect With Techlore