zenith prob

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
watchmaker
zenith prob

i have a 1995 35inch zenith tube television that has red horizontal lines about one inch apart  and a red tint to the screen. ideas about what is the problem. worth fixing? any thoughts are appreciated

Larry Dillon
Well a model number would

Well a model number would have been a little more help, but since I have seen this problem several times, no big deal.  it is a bad picture tube, a bad crt driver, the crt socket or the video jungle IC.  These are the type of problems a consumer or end user cannot repair as you need specialized equipment to trouble shoot these circuits.  Also you have the issue of the CRT socket and the high voltage there involving the focus voltage as well as the screen voltage.  Please without the proper training you should not be experimenting around inside these sets.  If you do under stand the basic electronics and know how to use a multimeter and an ocilliscope,  you should with the aid of a schematic diagram, find where the problem lies. good Luck and let us know please what you did to solve your problem.

watchmaker
thanks Larry for the info.

thanks Larry for the info. its a model SR35B7DT.  I do have some engineering background but dont have a scope. most repair shops want a bench fee and as the unit weighs over 250 lbs. I mainly wanted to know if it would be worth the trouble to lug the thing down to the repair shop. I would go  $150 due to the age but some of the things you alluded to make me think i may have to junk it. also the lines started to appear first, then the redness of the screen not to long afterwards. You clan see a muddied picture thru this and the sound is fine.

Larry Dillon
Well to tell you the truth, I

Well to tell you the truth, I myself would not invest anything into an 11 year old set, but if you want to, invest in a schematic and take some voltage measurments, and i will assist you if you e me the schematic on what to check and where.  I looked up that model and it is not showing on the Zenith list from several sources.  Is the set a USA model?

Connect With Techlore