Built-in microphone on Vaio fs990

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yoel
Built-in microphone on Vaio fs990

Can't get this to work.  It's not muted, and I've tried just about everything. When I try to use the windows sound recorder nothing comes out.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Larry Dillon
Yoel,  Do these steps one by

Yoel,  Do these steps one by one and we will see, hopefully, what your problem is.  Go to control panel, click on sounds & audio devices, click on voice recorder,Make sure there is a device in the default device box.  If there is not, reload the software or add new hardware and do a scan to find a Microhone, or you add from a device list,  If there is a device in the device default box, click on volume and make sure the mic. volume is up.  if it is, close the volume box and click on test hardware.  Let the program load and do its thing, then do the test.  Make sure that volume is up also and then do the speaker test just for the fun of it.  If the test fails there, shut down the sounds box and go back to the control panel, click on system then on harware, then on the device manager box.  Scroll down to the sound, video,and game controller.  Click on the little Plus+ sign once and see if there is a program for your sound or mic.  If there is then you have a problem with the hardware(bad Mic.) and unless you know about computers at this point I would take it to one of ther many many repair shops for computers.  Let us know how you made out and Good Luck

Yoel
Thanks for your help.  I had

Thanks for your help.  I had actually already done all of these steps, but when I got to the device manager, I didn't know what the program for the mic would be called.  Do you know what it SHOULD be called?

BTW, when I turn on Microphone Boost (through Audio Control, advanced options) and turn the mic volume all the way up I hear some static noise, but I still can't record anything...

Larry Dillon
Oh that most likly is a bad

Oh that most likly is a bad mic then.  is there an external mic jack on this model?  I know most of them do.

Yoel
yes there is an external jack

yes there is an external jack.  but it's inconvenient if you're travelling around and want to skype...

I'm not quite willing to give up yet - I just got the computer and I'm not willing to believe the mic is broken from the start.  are there any software patches I can try?

Larry Dillon
No I mean just to try. If

No I mean just to try. If there is something in the default box in the control panel, then the patches are all there most likly. Go to Sony Downloads and see if there are any software updates.

Yoel
i'm no longer sure the built

i'm no longer sure the built-in mic is recognized by the computer. There are a few things listed under the sound category in the device manager, but they all go by names like "Realtek" and "Legacy". I think they are referring to external mic's. I'm pretty sure my computer has an internal mic as well (don't they all?). How can I "find" it?
Thanks again!

Larry Dillon
Thoses names you are talking

Thoses names you are talking about are the sound proggys, or software.   By the way, sonys website says there is no notebook model number of FS990?   Is its  VGN-FS990?

Larry Dillon
I just read the manual, and I

I just read the manual, and I should have before we got started and im sorry to have to tell you, that acording to the owners manual, there is no internal microphone, only a jack for an external microphone. thats why when you turn up the mic volume you hear a hissing sound. you should turn it dowmn again as if you do not, when you use a microphone, it will feed back. If you do not have a complete user manual get one here..http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manua...

Connect With Techlore