Amp HU Output To Big For Sub Input

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wado Potato
Amp HU Output To Big For Sub Input

Hi There , this is my first time on a disscusion forum please excuse my newness.  My Yamaha HTR-5760 has a SUB max output level of 4V/1.7kohm and my recently purchased 350watt RMS active sub has a max input level 2V/47kohm, the amp has an auto set up function which sets up all output levels delays and bass managment, the amps manufacturers requirements are that the volume on the SUB be set to 9 to 11 oclock bout 1/3 volume and crossover set to max 200hz. My question is will the amp compensate for the voltage requirement diferences or will I run the risk of frying the Sub input? Does the Sub itself reduce the input voltage to what it requires? If I manually set the HU to half output will I underpower the SUB eg HU @1/2 = 1/2 powered Sub = overheating due to lack of speaker movement?

Larry Dillon
Set your unit sub outputĀ to

Set your unit sub output to half power and the sub should be fine.  If you do not do this you will over power the input to the sub and overdrive the amp or burn up the input circuit.  I have seen this problem alot in car audio equipment.  I really doubt though your going to crank up your reciver to max volume as then if the output is set to half on the sub out, that puppy would most likly dance around everything in your house.  Thats one loud sub at two volts of input @ 200HZ!  How it works is the reciver has a variable output from zero all the way up to 4 volts.  So although you would most likly never crank up the unit so high to get the max. output, its always better to not take a chance.  Let us know how you made out.  Good Luck

Wado Potato
Thanks Larry and your right I

Thanks Larry and your right I dont have to drive much into the volume to get things dancing around the house, Volume on the sub has been to half, crossover at max 200HZ. After the auto tune my Yamaha amp has decided to run the output level at - 7.5 db and set its own crossover at 120HZ. The drive it has is awsome, bass pressure is warm and clean plenty of ambience and lots of chest thump when you drive it, im also running big towers from all outputs iv'e always had plenty of crisp bass the play with but theres no substitute for subsonics. Thanks again for your advise.

Connect With Techlore