Connecting Audio to my home theatre

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jasmine90210
Connecting Audio to my home theatre

Hi all,

I've been pulling my hair out lately trying to figure out how to get my new sound system working right. I recently moved and bought a home theatre system - I have all the video working, but can't for the life of me get the audio working right. I have the following components:

Optoma projector 6800
xbox 360
joytech control center 240C
Pioneer Audio Multi-channel receiver sx-316

I am getting no sound at all, and I'm not sure if it is a set-up problem, or a wiring problem. I have done an audio test with the system, and it has emitted the test tone from all the speakers, so I do think I have the speaker wires in the right place. I try to use the radio (which should work even with no other components hooked in) and I can't get anything but static when I try to choose a channel. Also, when I play a dvd from my xbox360 I get picture, but no sound at all. I've tried both with the xbox set to tv and hdtv and no sound at all. Can anyone help? Pictures to which wires go where would also be helpful.

Any guidance appreciated,

--Jas

Larry Dillon
For tyhe equipment you have

For tyhe equipment you have you must connect all the outputs of each device ie: the tv set, cd player ect ect to the input jacks of the control center.  Then you must use the one output on the control center for audio connected directly to the reciver and make sure the reciver is set to the proper input.  Everything should work.  If it doesnt.  Try connectiong the cd player directly to the reciver via aux or tape input and see if that works.  If it does not, the reciver is defective. if it does work then the control panel is not hooked up correctly or its bad.  let us know how you made out. Good Luck

Jasmine90210
Hi Larry,

Hi Larry,

Thanks so much for the help. First of all, a little background - I know very little about electronics - I did do some research before I bought my projector, and I think I got a pretty good deal on that, but with the audio I've never hooked up an audio system before. I successfully got the projector video output working, and that gave me the confidence to try and hook up the audio.

So, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, though I suspect it may have something to do with the settings being wrong. Like I did the audio test the speakers made noise.

The reason the video was so easy to hook up is it came with great instructions and diagrams. The audio equipment had 2 page/poster type instructions written in 4 languages and was very difficult to decipher. It had a graph for connecting the speakers, and I think I've done that right, but the instructions on how to get the sound going were very unclear. I selected the 'quick setup' option which I thought would give me sound, but it didnt - I can't even get the radio to give sound, and it shouldnt need the x-box or anything to get sound from there right?

are there maybe some settings I have to select?

I have a white and red wire which plug into my AV receiver and into my control center. On the control center I have 2 places under output where the red and white can go one had red white and yellow, then under that is a red/white and svideo connection. I've tried hooking them into both. On the back of the av receiver there  are 3 places to plug in the red and white - 2 say input and one says output. I've tried hooking into both of the inputs as well as the output - there are no instructions anywhere as to where the red and white wires should go.

I tried what you said and hook the xbox directly into the av receiver while playing a dvd, and still no sound... I feel like I must have a setting wrong somewher. Any help appreciated,

--Jas

Larry Dillon
You need to have the setting

You need to have the setting on the reciver where you plugged it into on the rear. Make sure one of the tape monitors aare not on. What it say on the back of the reciver where you have the red and white wire attached? Whats it say on the reciver Display or switch selector?

Jasmine90210
Problem solved, thanks for

Problem solved, thanks for the help Larry.

Jasmine90210
the volume has a settings 1

the volume has a settings 1 -10 and i turned it up to 3 the whole time. turns out when i turned it up to 7 i could hear it... seems odd i have to turn it that high to get volume though. Also only my 2 front speakers seem to be working, the center and 2 surrounds dont have volume. However, when i do the system sound test, all speakers emit the test 'beep'

Thanks for the help so far,

--Jas

Connect With Techlore