dvr to laptop

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
shortstack
dvr to laptop

i have a dvr (digital cable box) from gci (cable company in alaska)....... well i want to put some "stuff" i have recorded to my laptop. On the back of the dvr is has 2 firewire ports and my laptop also has firewire. when i connect them is says cant find hardware. i am thinking that i need to go to the motorola site and maybe download something to my laptop so i can get the "stuff" on my computer??? thanks in advanced

Matt Whitlock
I'm not sure this kind of

I'm not sure this kind of connection is possible, but then again I've never tried it either. However, I'd be willing to bet that Motorola has set up the DVR to not allow extraction through the firewire port. In other words, if you want to pull stuff from your DVR, you'll need a video capture device that can pull the signal from one of the analog outputs.

shortstack
ya i have a dvd burner

ya i have a dvd burner connected to it but i have about 14hrs worth of "stuff" i want to get off their and maybe put it on my laptop. but i gues i will just have to use the good old dvd burner :( its going to talk a long time though.

btw is their any video capture card for the pcmcia slot???

Matt Whitlock
Hi shortstack,

Hi shortstack,

I did a little poking around on Amazon, and ran across a PCMCIA based TV tuner and video capture card. I've never used it, so I can't give you my personal thumbs up, but it does seem to do what you're looking for. Best of all, it's not all that expensive. 

Let us know how it turns out!

Connect With Techlore