hooking up new sony dvd recorder to tv & vhs recorder

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
ron25
hooking up new sony dvd recorder to tv & vhs recorder

Can someone help a novice like me,?just purchased a new sony rdr gx120 recorder have spent 2 days trying to get it linked up, I have followed all instructions in the book I have scart leads etc, also sockets in the front of both machines,but cannot get them both to work ar same time,? where am I going wrong.

ron25

Ron Repking (not verified)
It will be easier for someone

It will be easier for someone to help you if you describe in more detail:

1) The devices that you are trying to hook up to each other.

2) What connections you are making between the devices.

3) What isn't working (e.g. picture but no sound on DVD recorder, etc)

ron25
trying to connect up my

trying to connect up my original vhs recorder & my new sony  dvd recorder,to my t.v.

(1) I have connected the airel lead direct into my dvd recorder, scart cables from the dvd one to the t.v, the other to the vhs.also aerial out from the dvd to the socket in the t.v.

I cannot get the vhs to record when I put it into AF mode,  I have tried the different settings on the handset to no avail, yet all was perfect before I started changing the system, 

THE dvd handset does not change the t.v programmes 

hope this helps. 

Larry Dillon
The Antenna lead sounds like

The Antenna lead sounds like it needs to be split by means of a two set spitter/coupler, so one can go into the VCR ant. input and then one into the DVD recorder ant. input.  The problem with the DVD not receiving channels is you need to do a channel setup in the menu.  Also the VCR needs to be in the tuner mode in the VCR menu so you can record two differant channels from two differant sources!  VCR and DVD!     Check these out and get back to us please. Good Luck(sorry Ron, didnt mean to step on your toes!!)

Ron Repking (not verified)
Larry, no need to apologize

Larry, no need to apologize for helping someone out!  This is what it's all about - helping each other in any way we can.

Ron25, let us know what happens! 

ron25
  THANKS LARRY,  SUCCESS I

THANKS LARRY,  SUCCESS I have got a splitter for the 2 recording machines,and can record on any one or both,  however when viewing the tv it appears the picture quality has somewhat deterioated, is this normal when 2 recorders are hooked up? ?

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

RON 

Larry Dillon
Is it both recordings? Or

Is it both recordings? Or just the VCR? and how are they hooked up to the TV? Use the video inputs or the scart hook up NOT the rf input.. Picture will be a poor condition if used that way.

ron25
LARRY /   I have both scart

LARRY /   I have both scart sockets hooked up,   channels.  1 & 4 very fuzzy, but channels 2 &3 fairly good picture

hook up as follows, scart from dvd line 1 direct to the T.V.  second scart from dvd line 3 decoder to my vhs recorder to audio/video in/out socket. 

Larry Dillon
Ok If its only some channels,

Ok If its only some channels, it cant be the equipment as the tuners do not know the differance from one channel to another. Its got to be the RF signal source. ie antenna,cable line, cable box?

Larry Dillon
Quality differences exist in

Quality differences exist in SCART cables. While a proper SCART cable would use miniature coax cables for the video signals, cheap SCART cables often use plain wires for all signals, resulting in a loss of image quality and greatly reducing the maximum cable length. A common problem is that a TV will output a composite video signal from its internal tuner, and this will be induced or cross-talk onto an incoming video signal due to inadequate or non-existent screening on a cheap SCART cable; the results will be ghostly images or shimmering superimposed on the incoming signal. To non-destructively verify if a SCART cable uses coax cables, one can unscrew the strain relief at the SCART connector and fold open the plastic shell.

Connect With Techlore