Computer to surround receiver

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
dumafach
Computer to surround receiver

I have a compaq computer with a realtek ac97 soundcard. I would like to connect it to my receiver. On the headphone jack it causes a loud hum. I checked on the computer and it states I can do 5.1 out. The headphone out is the front speakers, the mic input is the rear speakers and the line in is the center speaker. I have a Sony STR-DE845 surround receiver with 5.1 inputs. What I want to know is before I buy all these 25ft cables will it work?

Matt Whitlock
Hi dumafach,

Hi dumafach,

When you connected the headphone output to the receiver, did you adjust the computer's internal volume control? Just a thought.

Connecting to the 5.1 jacks certainly should work, but the hum may still be present. Onboard audio devices commonly pickup noise from other motherboard components, or you could be picking up noise from an external power source through the audio cord. It's difficult to tell without investigating in person. If you want to try it out, make sure you buy the cables from a store with a lenient return policy.

If you're serious about actually using your computer with your stereo to listen to music, you may want to consider picking up a seperate sound card for your PC. These are much less prone to picking up noise from the main board, and most folks agree that they offer significant audio quality improvements. They're not even that pricey either. You can pick up the Sound Blaster Audigy SE Value card for less than $30 at Amazon.

Best of luck!

dumafach
Hi Matt,

Hi Matt,

It appears I am talking with you in both forum groups. Yes I am serious about hooking it up. I have tried to find out info about a sound card and all I got was "it is your personal preference". I didn't know if the music from the computer would sound any better in 5.1 or not. I don't care much for it on the cd or radio. I know there is music out there recorded in 5.1 I just don't know where. I was even thinking of a TV card but, after a lot more research. There is a lot I want to do, I just dont like wasting money. I am glad I found this place. I didn't know where to go to actually find out info without somebody just trying to sell me their product. Thanks for all the great info. I will be back with more questions.

Connect With Techlore