STR-DE845

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
dumafach
STR-DE845

I have a samsung dvd player connected to a sony str-de845 surround system.  I have the coax cable hooked up and everything seems to be working fine. I don't know if the DTS or Dolby Digital is the best way to listen to the audio. I also would like to know if the S-Video is a better choice for the video or just the rca jacks? Is there a disc to help set up the system for the best preformance?

Matt Whitlock
Hi dumafach,

Hi dumafach,

These are all fantastic questions. Let's address them all individually.

I don't know if the DTS or Dolby Digital is the best way to listen to the audio.

Most folks won't be able to distinguish an audible difference between the two... depending on the type of movie you're watching. In action movies with lots of surround effects, I personally find DTS to offer superior performance. In movies comprised of mostly vocals and few effects, I'd be pressed to find a difference. Audio is a very subjective category, let your ears decide.

I also would like to know if the S-Video is a better choice for the video or just the rca jacks?

There are three common hookups on DVD players, composite (yellow), S-Video, and component (red, green, and blue RCA jacks) video connections. S-video yeilds better image quality than composite, but component is better than S-video. Use the best connection your TV offers. For more, read: How To Improve A/V Performance By Using the Best Connections

Is there a disc to help set up the system for the best preformance?

Sure. The two most common discs for A/V setup and calibration are AVIA and Digital Video Essentials. There's even an article on TechLore to explaining how to calibrate your TV using a video calibration disc, and other useful articles to help you get the most from your home theater:

There's a whole lot more, too. Browse the articles on TechLore for lots more.

dumafach
Thanks Matt,

Thanks Matt,

I thought DTS was better but, I didn't have anything to base it on. There is so many different parts to set up this receiver I didn't know where to begin. I am new to surround sound and still don't know much about the LFE Mix, DTS LFE Mix and D RANGE COMP. I have like 30 different listening levels and moods. Trying to figure it all out is daunting. I appreceiate your input.

Matt Whitlock
I could probably write a book

I could probably write a book about all the strange features on Sony receivers, but I should be able to help you with the ones you pointed out:

LFE (Low frequency effects) mix and DTS LFE mix let you attenuate the mix level (think volume) of the subwoofer without affecting the overall frequency range of the channel for Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks. I'd leave it a 0db (no attenuation) and adjust volume either on the sub itself or with the sub level setting.

Sony receivers come with dozens of DSP (digital signal processor) sound modes like Hall, Jazz, Stadium, etc. These are pretty much useless for the most part, as I find them to make listening less enjoyable. The only modes you'll really need to ever use are A.F.D (Auto format decode. What you'll have it on 99% of the time, Dolby Pro Logic (called "normal surround" which is surround sound for 2 channel analog sources), 2CH, and 5.1 input (which you may or may not ever use depending on what hardware you have). You can play around with the Cinema Studio EX modes, which I personally don't like, but others think it makes a little life to digital surround tracks. 

D. Range Comp stand for digital range compression, intended to level out the fluctuations during loud and soft passages when watching at night, or when you wouldn't want an unexpected explosion to wake the neighbors. I've found its effects minimal, but you're welcome to play around with it. Don't forget to disable the circuit when full range listening is desired.

Still got more questions? Fire away! Just make sure you tell everyone you know about TechLore.com Smile

dumafach
Thanks for the quick reply

Thanks for the quick reply Matt.

I agree, all those modes are a waste. I like to enjoy pure music, and it sounds best (right now) in stereo. I don't really care for all that reverb and echo. I am glad you told me about the D comp.. That is a problem of mine. I watch movies at night and part of the reason I cant listen through the receiver is the sudden wall shaking parts. I don't have a powered sub yet but I probably will soon. The speakers I have on the front now will wake the neighborhood. I appreceiate the info and yes I will let everybody know about techlore. The only problem is everybody I know around here is not into the tech stuff. I am alone on an island. Nobody even understands me when I talk about it.

I look forward to keep updating though. Don't worry I will have a lot more questions before it's over. Keep up the good work:-)

Connect With Techlore