2nd opinion, please

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jakel
2nd opinion, please

As a woman, I feel as ill equipped to deal with electronics repairs/repairmen as I am car repairs - and I always feel like they see me coming.

While in storage, water leaked down on to my plasma for a 3-7 days. It was set a couple inches off the floor so it was not in standing water. Now it isn't working.

I was told it is not worth fixing (better to buy a new one) siting electronic and picture tube (my word - not his) damage.

Is this viable or am I too pliable? Help, a 2nd opinion, please. Jake

Larry Dillon
Well first off a plasma set

Well first off a plasma set does not have a picture tube!  There are several boards inside the set that could have corroded, as thats what water will do to an electronic circuit board.  If the board or boards are corroded yes the repair could exceed the value of the set as with labor and part these days it could be a costly adventure.  If you could contact the manufacturer and see if they can diorect you to a authorized repair shop thats ervices your brand of set. Good Luck

jakel
Thanks Larry,

Thanks Larry,

I'd forgotten the term he used... it was panel not picture tube.

Could the board(s) have gotten corroded during the 10ish days between the exposure to the water and getting the tv examined?

Is there any other way for the water to have damaged/detroyed the panel itself?

Thanks again, Jake

Larry Dillon
In that amount of time its

In that amount of time its very iffy.?   I would have removed the boards if I knew that they were sitting or got wet only 10 days ago and washed them in a degreaser solution and let them dry out for a few days before I looked at the set.  But Alot of shops and tech, and Im not bashing techs or shops , BUT there are a few who onlty want the quick buck and dont care about the customer as there is in any type of repair situation.  Like i said before contact the manufacturer. good luck again and Please let me know what the outcome was?? Cool

jakel
Thanks, Larry. Jake

Thanks, Larry.

Jake

Connect With Techlore