Locked out of my own Grundig TV!!!!!!!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
lee_1133
Locked out of my own Grundig TV!!!!!!!

Hi,

I have a Grundig WF70-3020 28" TV set which when i switched on this morning had a blue screen with the words 'Protected, The Telvision is owned by <BLANK>' The text is white with a white line across the screen were i presume the owners name shoud be? I have not changed any settings and don't even use the remote control for it as i use the Sky remote to switch it on. The TV goes into standby after about 10 seconds displaying the message.

I have found out a few things mself trying to sort it this morning.

1) This model is actually a rebadged Matsui

2) Apparently there should be a service code to help me get passed the lock

3) Grundig was bought out about 1 year ago and no-one at grundig will help you if a TV set is more than 1 year old.

4) Mastercare won't help but will send someone out for about £60 (No-Thanks)

any help would be greatly appreciated and i thank anyone who replies in advance.

Larry Dillon
According to the Grundig UK

According to the Grundig UK(Im assuming your in the UK?) web page, all products have a three year  warranty!  It should not matter if they were sold or not, as most of the time when a company buys another comapny they assume their problems. They also go on to say that all parts for all of their TV sets will be in stock for 10 years.  I dont know who you spoke to on the phone but I would certainly call them back and demand some satisfaction. Do you not have an owners manual to look up this problem? If not for sure get back intouch with them as it has their name on it and they should take care of your problem as per the warranty. Hope you still have the purchase recipt.  If they refuse report them to a consumers complaint line.   Good Luck 

lee_1133
Thanks for replying & yes i

Thanks for replying & yes i am in the UK. The TV set is about 5 years old and i never bought an extended warranty (I think it came with 12months) what they said was 'we purchased Grundig about 1 year ago but don't support TV's bought before that time. I challenged that answer and said they should take up the responsibility of the set as they now own Grundig and i was told to get in touch with mastercare (Who i have phoned and they cannot help either) The best they came up with was leave the TV unplugged for 20mins as this might wipe its memory.
Surely someone has to take responsibility for this TV even if it is outside warranty.
I managed to find a PDF file of the manual and it does not mention this situation at all in the troubleshoot section.
I cannot believe that the TV has locked me out and that there is no by-pass for it, It must be possible to get round it.

lee_1133
WOW it worked!!!

WOW it worked!!!

Unplugged it for about 30mins and now it works!!!!

So this leads me to another question now that one is sorted. The TV has a pincusion issue with not all the image showing in the screen regardless of picture mode chosen? Any idea if this is a big job to fix? what component is needed if any? Also the image on the screen curves at the side as well,

any ideas on that one?

I know what your thinking does anything work at all on it but the TV has worked well for 5 years and only recently the screen went (pincusion issue & Curve effect) the distortion is not very bad which is why i have not replaced it.

I am holding out for an LCD but want to wait for prices to come down a bit more.

Larry Dillon
oh Ok I thought you stated in

oh Ok I thought you stated in the beginning that you unplugged it and it didnt work as thats the first think that should be done, Im sorry I misunderstood you. to try to reset a TV set. Ok now if the pincussions out then there is probably a bad capacitor or pincussion amp transistors thats bad. If you have had some TV repair experience, then maybe you can get a manual for the set and I can assist you to what parts may or may not be defective. Good Luck

lee_1133
Hi again, I did switch it off

Hi again, I did switch it off but not for much more than 1 minute as i thought that would be long enough so that was my fault.

This capacitor / pincussion amp are they expensive? Would i be able to remove the back cover and replace one of these? I am not the best with DIY but if access and replacing is straight forward i could do it with guidence.

Also where would i get these parts from?

Larry Dillon
The very first thing your

The very first thing your going to have to do is read this  http://www.techlore.com/article/14476/  If after you read this you feel comfprtable with this repair is get a service manual or a schematic diagram.  then we can determine what parts may be bad.  But if you have no TV repair experience, I would let a pro llok at the set.

lee_1133
I think i will leave it lol,

I think i will leave it lol, I can solder & unsolder but if I do something wrong I could end up creating a fire hazard. Like I said its not a major issue and it won't be long until I get an LCD! A few months at most.

Ok i have a general question now, Which type of Large screen is the best?

Rear projection, LCD, Plasma or Projector?

I personally prefer the brightness of the LCD's over the plasma's but have been considering a projector as well. Also apart from type of TV who produce the best screens and who would you avoid?

I would probably go for Toshiba, Sony, Samsung or Panasonic but should I avoid any of these and are there others I should consider?

Larry Dillon
Read the articles Im posting.

Read the articles Im posting. This site has lots of fun and neat info. You should explore!  http://www.techlore.com/article/10884/ and  http://www.techlore.com/article/10802/ and http://www.techlore.com/article/10295/ and also here http://www.techlore.com/article/14102/

john benitez
Ok people need some help. I

Ok people need some help. I have a older model panasonice 41/42 inch flat screen. My daughter pressed some buttons on it tonight and has apparently locked me out of it. I DO NOT have a remote for it. I can however use my husbands universal remote to his and mute it, but that's all I can do. The channels won't change or anything. I tried to call panasonic (but currently closed) it's 11:16 pm go figure. Please any advice would help

Trickytrace
When I turned my TV on the

When I turned my TV on the picture just flashed up for 1 second and then goes to a black screne. I've tryed turning it on a off a number of times but still not working. The sound is still perfect. Can you help

Connect With Techlore