still need help tv to

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
lostindapast
still need help tv to

my stereo has a two cable red white input jacks my new tv only has a single coaxial digital audio out put jack is there a way to make them compatiable

Larry Dillon
Sorry My friend, Not without

Sorry My friend, Not without an expensive adaptor.

Matt Whitlock
lostindapast said:

lostindapast said:
my stereo has a two cable red white input jacks my new tv only has a single coaxial digital audio out put jack is there a way to make them compatiable

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but if this is truly the case it would be the first time I've seen a TV manufacturer opt not to include an analog output. What is the brand a model number of your TV?

If it truly doesn't have a stereo output, I'm not certain there's any inexpensive solution to convert a digital audio signal (containing 2 or more discrete channels)  back to analog. Remember, digital audio signals could be 5.1 channel Dolby Digital, DTS, or any number of different audio formats. Stand alone converters like the Midland ADS 4000 need to have a lot of processing power to do what you want, and are just not sold in high enough numbers due to the small demand. 

Of course, the obvious solution is to upgrade your receiver to one that is digital capable. Cheap ones are really not that expensive, and if you want to continue using your existing receiver's amplifiers, the new receiver could be used as a simple converter for much less than what standalone converters cost. Or, you could get something a little nicer, and just replace your existing receiver entirely.

lostindapast
thanks matt my tv is ilo a

thanks matt my tv is ilo a product of sylvania mod-iwf2706. i would likie to continue using my stero system its pretty good and worked well with my old tv its an aiwa cx-nhmt75 could you please explain that simple converter thing and where to find it im retired and my income is limited thanks again

Matt Whitlock
As far as I can tell, the TV

As far as I can tell, the TV you own is the ILO 27" TV sold exclusively at Wal-Mart. As such, support materials are practically non existant, so I can't refer to a manual to verify that it has no analog outputs.  If the TV truly says SYLVANIA on the front, please double check the model number listed on the back of the TV.

When I said "simple converter", I was referring to use a new digital receiver as a converter if you still wanted to amplify your speakers using your old receiver. I wouldn't exactly recommend doing it this way, but depending on the quality of your previous receiver, it may sound better than a new cheap one.

Best buy sells an Insignia 6 channel digital receiver for $129, which is pretty inexpensive compared to a standalone digital to analog converter. To use this as a converter, you would run the digital audio connection from the TV to the back of the digital receiver, and connect the digital receiver's analog outputs to your old receiver.

That's currently your least expensive solution, shy of returning the TV and buying a different model with the appropriate connections.

lostindapast
thanks matt but i got angry

thanks matt but i got angry and brought the tv back and got a sony with all the jacks and optical stuff i also bought a panasonic home system took me only about an hour and it sounds great thanks for your help guess i should stay away from cheap crap again thanks

Matt Whitlock
lostindapast said:  guess i

lostindapast said:  guess i should stay away from cheap crap 

That's very, very good advice. Wink

Returning the TV was an option, though I'm surprised you purchased a home audio solution, too. If all you wanted to do was get TV sound through an external audio system, you really only needed to do one or the other.

Regardless, I am glad you upgraded to legitimate brand name electronic components that will likely give you better performance, last longer, and do everything you want them to do. 

If you feel up to writing a review on either TV or your new home audio system, we'd be happy to help you share it with everyone in the community.

Connect With Techlore