My TV won't turn on

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ivy
My TV won't turn on

Hey,

I tried to turn on my tv w/o the remote, using the button on the actual television. It got stuck, so I pushed harder and the button popped into the tv. It left this hole. I grabbed a safety pin, twisted it and tried to get the button out. I saw this white spark. I stopped and tried to turn my tv on, but it wouldn't turn on. Nothing turned on in my room. I think I short-circuited my room. My iron won't come on in there; I have to take the iron into the living room for it to work. Long story short, I removed my tv from my room and tried to plug it up in the living room, but it's not coming on. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do or is my tv a done deal? Thanks.

Larry Dillon
IVY IVY IVY,  Never stick

IVY IVY IVY,  Never stick anything metal inside a tv set!  Not only are you risking a fire BUT DEATH!! Sorry to be so harsh, but Ivy I wanted you to understand about about how dangerous that can be. The fuse or circuit breaker for that part of the home or apartment is most likly blown or tripped. If you own the home ,have someone check that out for you or have the manager check it if your renting. Now If you dont understand TV terms or the safty issues involved PLEASE take the TV into a shop as you might have, if your luck only blew a fuse insiden the TV. Theres a possibility though that you shorted out the power supply. Now a shop maybe able to fix the button as well, but on most sets, this is part of the front cabinet.  But if they do fix the set, then you can use  the remote without the button to turn it on and off. Good Luck

Ivy
I know Techman, I know

I know Techman, I know [shaking my head in shame]. I'm such a ditz when it comes to electronics. After I did that I realized how dumb my actions were! Fortunately, 30mins ago, my boyfriend told me to check the fuse box, so I looked at it and realized that I tripped a switch. I cut it back on and everything electric in my room came back on (thankfully), except for the TV.

What shop can I take my tv to have it looked at? How much do you think it would cost to have it looked at and to fix it if it's just a fuse that's blown? Ironically, I'm not really worried about the button anymore, even though that's what got me into all this mess. I can live with just using the remote control to work the tv. I just want my tv to work again...

Larry Dillon
No Ivy, sometimes we all do

No Ivy, sometimes we all do something, we think back on it, we shake our heads, and wonder WHAT WAS I THINKING?  Your gonna have to call around and see if you can get a shop to give ya you an estimate for free or will apply the estimate cost towards the repair.  If it was in my shop I used to have , it would have been about 35.00 or so depending if the set needed any type of adjustments or maybe something wrong that you were not aware of.  Most shops are not the crooks alot of them used to be as the consumer market has driven the easy money part out of the buisiness.  So as I said call around and see first what the area shops charge for the est. and maybe get a ball park of the repair. Im sorry to tell you thoug that if you did blow out the power supply on the set, and theres a good possibility you did, then it most likey will cost you about 150.00 all the way up to a couple of hundred  bucks.  SorryCry  Good Luck

joshua68
i have a phillips tv that

i have a phillips tv that turns off by itself what do i do

Larry Dillon
joshua68, Do you get any

joshua68, Do you get any type of symptom before it goes off? What do you have to do to get ot back on. Have you done anything to it? Have you moved the set recently? Do you have any TV or electronic experience at all?

Ivy
Thank you so much Techman, I

Thank you so much Techman, I appreciate all of your help!

Connect With Techlore