Sony surround sound problem

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
treidy8
Sony surround sound problem

I recently purchased a 50in Sony Wega 3LCD rear projection tv and a sony home theater system str-k9900p. when i watch a dvd, all 5 speakers and the subwoofer produce sound. when i watch tv, only the front left,front right and subwoofer produce sound. the center speaker and 2 rear speakers don't do anything.

all 5 speakers also work with CD's. Am i missing a wire or did I connect something wrong...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Larry Dillon
I found this in a sony owners

I found this in a sony owners manual of a system almost like  your system. Try These :

Follow the steps below to troubleshoot if there is no audio from the rear surround sound speakers.

NOTE: If necessary, consult the instruction manual for information regrading how to perform any of the steps below.

1. Verify that the receiver is set to a surround mode.

IMPORTANT:

• For ProLogic surround, the center channel mode must be set to NORMAL or WIDE.
    • If a DVD is the source, verify that the surround sound is enabled in the DVD player menu.
    • The audio being received must be multi-channel.
  2. Verify that the rear surround speakers are connected properly.
  3. Perform a test tone operation to check if the speakers are functioning correctly.
  4. Increase the rear channel volume.
  5. Try selecting a different size (small or large) for the rear surround speakers in the menu.
  6. If the issue is still unresolved after completing the troubleshooting steps suggested, service may be required

GOOD LUCKCool

Doug
thanks for helping.

thanks for helping. unfortunately...i don't have a clue what that manual said. it's like a foreign language to me. i got to the menu and where it says center and then there is a "- - - -" and i couldnt figure out how to get it to say WIDE or normal.

can you break this down for me....thanks for helping

Larry Dillon
Ok Do you have your manual? I

Ok Do you have your manual? I looked for the model you stated and cant find it. Are you in the US? Please double check the model # as I cant even find that model under a plain search? Thanks

Doug
sorry...the model is HT6900DP

sorry...the model is HT6900DP.

i bought the system on an open box discount and it did not come with a manual. I found a manual on sony.com and thought I did everything they told me to do....but apparently not.

Because it was open box it also did not come with any wires. I was told by my cable provider all I would need is an SPDIF wire (which I have) and to connect it from the cable box to the receiver. The sony manual told me to go from the TV from the receiver with the SPDIF wire. Either way..the outcome was the same.

Thanks for taking the time to help...yes I am in the US (Massachusetts)

Larry Dillon
Ok lets see if this helps. It

Ok lets see if this helps. It says on Page 53 of your manual that in case you have no rear speakers the select "SB" setting (see page 38). If you continue having trouble , I would recomend that you go back to the store and have the saleman or the audio expert there at the store explain to you the way the settings have to be programed because according to the instructions each input that you have can be setup to any setting you want such as SB, wide, normal, dolby surround ect. Its all in the matter of programming. as they should have that info and explain that info to you . also you can call the # in the book for in case you have trouble. Good luck

Connect With Techlore