LCD Connection Advice

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blewis24
LCD Connection Advice

I'm about to purchase my first LCD TV, and I'm extremely confused about what type of connection cables I need. I've decided on the Sharp Aquos LC-32d50U. I've seen HDMI cables, HDMI - DVI cables, component video, component audio.....I would like to watch HDTV through my cable co. and hook up a basic DVD player.  Do I need the $100+ monster cables and which ones??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt Whitlock
Hi Blewis,

Hi Blewis,

The types of connection you need to make will ultimately depend on the device you're trying to connect. For example, the best connection a "basic" DVD player is likely to offer would be component video. An HD box could offer component, DVI, or HDMI. TechLore has many articles that discuss different types of cables and connections. Many of these articles can be found here: http://www.techlore.com/category/243/

The article "Picking the Right Cables" offers a good basic overview into the world of cables.

As far as cable quality goes, typically the better the cable, the better the picture. I would focus your budget for cables on the devices that output higher quality signals, like your HD box and DVD players. Cables, like most items in the tech space, typically go up in price as you improve quality. I wouldn't say that $100 dollars or more is indicative of a good cable, as I've used many video cables in the $40-$80 price range that have offered good performance... depending on the type of connection you're making and the length of the cable. Before you go shopping, figure out what type of connections you need to make first (don't forget to account for video AND audio), and how long you need them to be. 

Feel free to post back with any follow up questions you may have. 

Connect With Techlore